DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   NTSC HD-SD DVD interlaced field order? Help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/507919-ntsc-hd-sd-dvd-interlaced-field-order-help.html)

Andreas Andreou May 20th, 2012 11:55 AM

NTSC HD-SD DVD interlaced field order? Help

NTSC HD-SD DVD interlaced field order?

Hi All

We shot a wedding here in the UK yesterday for an American couple who would like the DVD sent to them in the US.

We shot with three EX3s with setting at NTSC in HD HQ1080 60i with shutter at 1/60.

Can someone please advise what field order the cameras are recording at?

I’ll be importing the native HD clips into a FCP SD 8bit uncompressed timeline then edit, down convert to SD from the timeline for final output QT movie.

I haven’t recorded interlaced for years and for the life of me I can’t remember the best Field Order for output to DVD for the US market.

Would appreciate some help.

Thanks
Andy

ministry of video - video design, production and editing company based in london

Les Wilson May 20th, 2012 12:50 PM

Re: NTSC HD-SD DVD interlaced field order? Help

According my archived notes: DV-SD is Lower Even and HD is Upper Odd

Eric Olson May 20th, 2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andreas Andreou (Post 1734215)
I haven’t recorded interlaced for years and for the life of me I can’t remember the best Field Order for output to DVD for the US market.

There is no advantage of one field order over the other as long as long as the DVD is mastered correctly.

Jack Zhang May 21st, 2012 02:18 AM

HD is Upper Field first, while SD is Lower Field first.

This will cause strobing when downconverted through Final Cut due to the wrong field order. A good way to correct it is to create a DV AVI from an HD export to XDCAM EX MP4 format that is then taken into XDCAM Browser. Import that DV AVI into FCP to create a DV SD MOV.

Work in HD, then export an HD intermediate that can be converted properly by XDCAM Browser into SD.

Vincent Oliver May 21st, 2012 05:09 AM

For future work, shoot in 1080p and you won't have any problem. For SD work I shoot in 1280 x 720, it converts down very cleanly. .

Alister Chapman May 21st, 2012 05:41 AM

Field orders are as follows:

HD, including HDV, Upper Field First.
NTSC SD all codecs, Lower Field First
PAL SD All codecs except DV, DVCAM, 25Mb/s DV XDCAM,Upper Field First
PAL SD DV, DVCAM, 25Mb/s DV XDCAM Lower Field First.

The PAL DV field order reversal causes a lot of issues. Provided you don't use a PAL DV project you should be OK.

Andreas Andreou May 21st, 2012 12:12 PM

Thanks for the feed back guys.

Andreas

Edwin Street May 31st, 2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1734319)
HD, including HDV, Upper Field First.
NTSC SD all codecs, Lower Field First
PAL SD All codecs except DV, DVCAM, 25Mb/s DV XDCAM,Upper Field First
PAL SD DV, DVCAM, 25Mb/s DV XDCAM Lower Field First.

I shot a film at 1080i50 PAL HDV and edited it in FCP7.

Then I want to burn it to DVD in iDVD so I grab the timeline and drop it into an Anamorphic DV-PAL timeline and FCP7 automatically adds a filter called Field Order +1 to the whole thing.

I have to render it all but it seems to work nicely and burns well. Why does FCP7 automatically add Field Order +1 instead of -1 or None?

Alister Chapman June 1st, 2012 09:35 AM

Because the PAL DV field order is the opposite to HDV so the fields have to shifted either + or - 1 field.