DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 weak link - grip issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/508459-ex1-weak-link-grip-issue.html)

Zoran Vincic June 12th, 2012 06:14 AM

EX1 weak link - grip issue

1 Attachment(s)
The outcome of this could be much worse, luckily it happened as I was shooting an interview and I was holding the camera with both hands, otherwise it could have ended by hitting the floor HARD.

And one more thing, I remember bitching to Curtis (Juice Designs — Welcome ) about the accessory arm being too close to the hand grip, boy did it save my ass on the field two days ago.
In case you're wondering, this piece of string I used for the fix is called Spectra and it's used by underwater spearmen as it's very, very tough.

Marcus Durham June 13th, 2012 03:17 AM

Re: EX1 weak link - grip issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoran Vincic (Post 1737916)
In case you're wondering, this piece of string I used for the fix is called Spectra and it's used by underwater spearmen as it's very, very tough.

It is worth checking the straps on all your cameras on a regular basis for wear. I replaced my EX1's shoulder strap at the start of the year as the old one was showing wear around the metal retaining clip. As I wanted a genuine Sony part the price wasn't cheap.

Ironically I have a some superior Canon straps in the cupboard that only cost me a few quid, but I figure putting a Canon strap on a Sony camera probably isn't the done thing. :-)

Zoran Vincic June 13th, 2012 04:32 AM

Hi Marcus,

the strap itself is not a problem but the plastic eyelet on the grip itself, you can see it's broken.

I was stunned by the service center's response, they said that Sony's policy is to change the whole lens instead of the grip itself, which is something I'm not going to do.

Does anyone know is it possible to get Sony replacement parts somewhere?

Les Wilson June 13th, 2012 05:07 AM

Here's a place to start looking:
https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/

Zoran Vincic June 13th, 2012 05:34 AM

Thanks Les,

I've been studying the service manual and while they do describe how to remove the grip cover, there's no part number of it in the exploded view and I don't know what to look for.

Edit,

I've found on that web page that the ref. no. 631 lists as:
631 345246801 345246803 BELT GRIP $151.32

In the service manual the 631 is listed as:
631 3-452-468-01 s BELT, GRIP

$151 seems high for the belt alone so that should probably be the grip cover I need, what do you think guys?

Lee Mullen June 13th, 2012 05:47 AM

More cheap manufacturing for an $8K camera a disgrace.

Zoran Vincic June 13th, 2012 06:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Jalan,

nothing on this world is indestructible and meant to last forever and I'm not pissed about that, things break, they get repaired and everything's fine.

But I'm pissed when Sony wants to change the whole lens (a $2000 repair) because they don't sell a cheap plastic part which is actually very easy to replace (see the pic).

Brian Cassar June 13th, 2012 09:35 AM

I had broken mine exactly just like yours but on my EX3 cam. I took a photo of the part and emailed it to a very reliable sony approved repair centre in the UK. They shipped me the part in just over 3 days and it was dead easy to change it - I am not normally a DIY man. Not sure whether I can mention the name as I'm not sure whether they are sponsors to this site or not. However you can email me and I'll let you know who the company was.

Zoran Vincic June 13th, 2012 09:50 AM

Thanks Brian, I fired a mail to you.

Small update, I got the part no. from https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/

it's PN: 415266301 LENS GRIP COVER

that part is listed nowhere in the EX1 service manual but instead it is listed as an EX3 part.

Old EX1 and EX3 share the same grip so they should be compatible.

Les Wilson June 13th, 2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalan Salur (Post 1738092)
More cheap manufacturing for an $8K camera a disgrace.

Jalan, do you know something about the manufacturing at Sony that caused the part to break? I'm not seeing lots of EX-1 owners having this problem? Are you? What do you know about it?

Zoran Vincic June 13th, 2012 11:52 AM

Well Brian actually told me something interesting in our email exchange. It seems that the later batches of EX3 got an improved grip casing with a thicker eyelet for the belt.

They wouldn't change it if there was nothing wrong, right?

But I guess they had done that change under the radar, hoping no one would notice.

I'll let you know did I receive the revised part

Andy Wilkinson June 13th, 2012 03:32 PM

Very interesting information - since I have one of the very first EX3's. I will be even more cautious when carrying it around with just my hand in that grip from now on. Thanks for the heads up.

Garrett Low June 13th, 2012 04:56 PM

Hi Zoran,

Could you take a close up of the replacement grip you get? I have an EX3 and I'd be interested to see if it has one of the later "stronger" eyelets. Also, for reference, if you could note what was different that would be much appreciated.

I had a Canon XH-A1 an it had the same issue with the handle.

Thanks,
Garrett

Larry Kelly June 13th, 2012 09:14 PM

That's interesting, my EX1 has a very different top connection for the strap on the grip which seems much stronger than the one in the picture. It consists of a horizontal slot where the strap enters the grip. There is no plastic loop.

Zoran Vincic June 14th, 2012 03:52 AM

Larry, can you take a close up and post it here?