Focal lenghts of EX1/3 stock lens vs 35mm lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 18th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Focal lenghts of EX1/3 stock lens vs 35mm lenses

I wonder whether someone is able to answer the following query:

I would like to know what is the maximum wide angle setting and the maximum telephoto setting of the stock lens of the EX1/EX3 when compared to full sensor Canon 5D II. I shoot a lot of event videos and would like to see what equivalent 35mm lenses would I need in order to film the same way with the EX cameras. I know about all the other problematic issues with the Mark 2 but at the moment I am interested to sort out the lenses issue.

Thanks
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Focal lenghts of EX1/3 stock lens vs 35mm lenses

You might find this FoV comparison helpful that Andy Shipsides at AbelCine created.
AbelCine - Field of View Calculator

The focal length of the EX1R and EX3 stock lens is: 5.8 mm to 81.2 mm
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

35mm equivalent for the stock Fuji lens is 31 - 438 mm
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks to you both, Doug and Zoran. I wonder whether you are able to tell me (slightly off topic) what iso equivalent would an ex1/3 be at 0db, at 6db and 9db?
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Vortex Media

Now you have hit on a pet peeve of mine. You can't rate a video camera for ISO unless you also know exactly what the picture profile settings are -- because the picture profile settings have a direct effect on sensivity and what the proper exposure should be. And if you want to rate the camera with PP turned off, who cares? You'd have to be a fool to shoot with any Sony camera's factory-default settings. Even if you're going to shoot flat and grade in post, there are still PP settings that need to be changed.

So, if you want to compare an EX1R/3 to a 5D, then you'd have to get out your light meter and determine for yourself with the PP settings that you'll be using.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds