DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Odd EX1 focus incident (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/508875-odd-ex1-focus-incident.html)

Jamie Roberts June 28th, 2012 05:01 AM

Odd EX1 focus incident

Hi there

I use My EX1 lots and an odd thing happened last week. I turned the camera on and everything through the lens was very out of focus. If I zoomed right in, things would come into focus at about 80% zoomed in before going out of focus again as i continued to zoom to 100%. Obviously I freaked out (internally) as I was with a client at the time.

I turned the camera off and on again and hey presto, all was good again! Ive used the camera on another day of shooting since (with lots of turning on and off throughout the day) without an issue.

Has this happened to any other EX1 users?

I hope it's not the beginning of the end of this camera as I've become a bit emotionally attached to it....but that's normal...right?

Cheers

Jamie

Jack Zhang June 28th, 2012 05:40 AM

Re: Odd EX1 focus incident

Yes, this randomly happened to my EX1R earlier this year. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...concerned.html

Clean power could be the key here. Any abrupt shutdown or dirty power will cause the backfocus to completely screw up and be unrecoverable until a reboot.

This was when it was under 100 hours of use. I'm closing in on over 200 hours on the hours meter now.

It is important to set your backfocus every once in a while. Go into the EX1's maintenance menu and do a "Auto FB adjust" on a Siemens star or a textured surface. This is clearly a backfocus issue.

Marcus Durham June 28th, 2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Roberts (Post 1740635)
Has this happened to any other EX1 users?

Jamie

Mine did it once about two years ago. Has never happened again. I think a few people have experienced it.

Likewise the white balance sending everything bright green problem some have reported. Happened to me a couple of times with no lasting effect.

I think it's just a software glitch that happens very occasionally. Nothing to worry about.

Brian Cassar June 28th, 2012 09:24 AM

I agree with you that it freaks the hell out of you when it happens especially in an event video! I do not believe it has anything to do with the back focus - either wise it will not come back to normality without an FB adjustment.

What I would like to add is that sometimes powering down and up again is not enough. I found out that it's best to:

1) stay calm
2) power down
3) remove completely the battery
4) re-insert battery
5) power up

Happens on EX1, EX1r and EX3s...

Jamie Roberts June 28th, 2012 06:13 PM

Thanks guys. Comforting to know it's no big deal.

Marcus I had the 'green' thing happen during white balance a couple of times when I first got the camera...that was a bit freaky too! It only seemed to happen when I white balanced using newly painted white weatherboards at my house...something in the paint?

Good advice Brian.

Jack I'll give that a go if it happens again.

Cheers

Jamie

Joel Brooks June 28th, 2012 07:09 PM

Jamie,

I have an EX1 in the L.A. shop at the moment for repairs for the following 2 symptoms:

Issue 1. Lens Fragment Problem:
While shooting a light colored subject like a blue sky, or solid white subject in both telephoto & especially in the wide position, and with the iris settings of 16, 13, & 11, there is a purple “string” looking object that appears at the lower center third of the screen or 6:00 position. It is present in higher f-stops, but is far more noticeable when using lower iris settings.

Issue 2. Focus Problem:
When I perform a slow zoom in or out to max position, with the top handle rocker, or the hand grip servo zoom rocker, then start to zoom out at a medium or super fast speed, (like to re-set a shot) the image goes completely out of focus for a fraction of a second; almost like a brief "focus blooming" effect. This symptom occurred a couple of months ago to present.

I use all manual settings as a videographer, so I always have the focus, iris, white balance, everything set to full manual mode.

Sony concluded that the "Prism Block" will have to be replaced. Part cost: $1,050.00. Not including labor. That being said, the manager at Sony was very nice and they are working to get the camera back asap. This is suppose to take care of both issues....

Also, they will update the firmware from 1.11 to 1.30 (the latest I believe).

Joel Brooks
Moments In Time Video Productions

Jamie Roberts June 29th, 2012 12:26 AM

Ouch! How long will it take them to fix it Joel? Is there labour costs on top of that?

Joel Brooks June 29th, 2012 01:16 PM

Jamie,

Yes. Nearly $1,500.00 total. I am told it could have cost more than that. I have been without my cam for 2 weeks now. It should be done about another week or so.

Joel

Dave Morrison June 29th, 2012 10:03 PM

I am SO happy that I was still under warranty when I discovered a bunch of crud inside my prism block. Like you, I discovered the junk was in there only after I stopped the lens down close to f11 or f16 and pointed it toward the sky. They also replaced a lens or two.....thank goodness for the extended Sony warranty.

Jack Zhang June 29th, 2012 10:57 PM

Fortunately, I only have a dust problem on the UV filter. But hearing of prism dust is making me a little uneasy...