TC divergence at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 30th, 2012, 08:29 AM   #1
Major Player

TC divergence

Spent most of last week on a two camera shoot, using an XDCam as the primary camera, and an EX-3 as the 2nd unit. Most of the interviews, we jam synced the TC between the two cameras with a BNC cable left in place during the interview, which worked fine.

I was surprised, though, so see how fast the TC swam apart between the two units when not cabled together--often coming seconds apart from each other in just an hour or two...and 15+ seconds apart overnight while on free run.

I didn't expect a total lock...but that's a lot of TC drift. The EX-3 was largely running faster, if I recall.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: TC divergence

Seems like quite a bit of difference.
Were both cameras constantly powered and on during the period that this much drift occurred? Typically if running on battery power we plan to re-jam time code every time a battery is changed, since most cameras drift when disconnected from power, and many drift as well when powered down.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Did both cameras have the same drop-frame time code setting? Cabled together for the entire time You were shooting would force them to be the same. However, if one camera had it's time-code set to "drop-frame" and the other camera's time-code was set to "no drop-frame" you would get the problem you describe. If you disconnect the cable from both cameras after the initial jam-synch...they would drift apart over the time periods you describe and that would explain the difference as well.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:36 AM   #4
Vortex Media

It's also recommended that you genlock them if you want perfect sync.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 09:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Hmmmm....drop/non drop might be an issue.

On the EX-3 if you shoot progressive, the DF is a disabled choice. But the XDCam disc camera was still set to DF...so that is likely what was happening.

Funny part is that for some reason, I was under the impression that progressive was always non drop. I should probably know these things...
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Major Player

I thought that 24P was always non-drop, whereas 30p could be either...
The time differential should be a factor of about .001 (if I remember correctly) if that was the issue.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Major Player

Well, then, if so even more curious, since we were shooting 24p. Go figure.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds