DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX3 .mov files on PC. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/509301-ex3-mov-files-pc.html)

John Wiley July 14th, 2012 08:44 PM

EX3 .mov files on PC.

Hi all,

I have been given some footage shot with an EX3 that was then downloaded onto a Mac in a .mov container using the Sony software. As far as I know these are the original files and there has been no transcoding to a different codec. The SxS cards have long ago been formatted so there is no way for me to just import them directly onto my PC with the Sony Software.

I need to edit these files on a PC using Premiere Pro CS6, but at the moment can't play the videos. When loaded into either Premiere or VLC Media Player, I get audio and timecode, as well as thumbnails in Premiere, but no video. Does anybody know the best way to get these files to play on a PC? Is it a simple case of changing the extension to something else, or do I need to transcode? And is it possible to do this on a PC or will I need to get hold of a Mac to read the files and do the transcoding?

Thanks in advance!

Richard Cavell July 14th, 2012 10:01 PM

Re: EX3 .MOV files on PC.

The correct answer is that you need to buy the 3rd party XDCAM EX codec software from a company called "calibrated". A Mac can read and write XDCAM EX codec, but only if it has Pro QT codecs installed, and it will only let you install those if you have a valid copy of Final Cut Pro, Motion or Compressor installed.

Battle Vaughan July 14th, 2012 10:41 PM

Re: EX3 .mov files on PC.

Problems like this are almost always codec related. If you do not have the XDCAM EX codec, you can get a third party one for PC here, with a free trial available (it leaves a heavy watermark on the trial but you can see if it will work for you) here: Calibrated{Q} XD Decode Overview

I have used their HDV codec to open Apple HDV- codec video on a PC, worked fine and their customer service was very helpful in getting me an earlier version that worked with the laptop I had to use.

Chris Duczynski July 15th, 2012 12:01 AM

Re: EX3 .MOV files on PC.

I had exactly the same problem. Go to nanocosmos | software coding experts | Broadcast & Studio Software - Video/Audio Streaming Live Encoding Software - Codec-Development and download the imx decoder. It costs $100 but it's definitely worth it.
You can download a demo but it will have their graphic in the middle.
That will do all pro-res.
Cheers

Les Wilson July 15th, 2012 06:01 AM

I believe your NLE lacks the CODEC for the XDCAM format. That actually confirms you have the original content without transcoding.... the files have been repackaged into .mov files.

All you need is to install the free XDCAM software from Sony for your system. You can find it here:
Sony | Micro Site XDCAM

Doug Jensen July 15th, 2012 06:14 PM

This is a good illustration of why I strongly encourage people to save their native BPAV folders. Those should be treated like negatives, and just saving the .mov copies isn't good enough. If you've got the BPAV folders archived, then you have every option for ingest and editing available to you -- not mention all the original metadata and the ability to view them, sort them, and organize them in XDCAM Browser.

John Wiley July 23rd, 2012 10:19 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll try out the free options first, then move onto the paid ones.

John Wiley July 23rd, 2012 11:51 PM

Well, I tried out a few of the programs with no luck... because it turns out the files have been transcoded to AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec).

I only found this out after the Calibrated XD Decode user guide's troubleshooting section suggested I use the Quicktime Player's movie inspector to examine the files - and I can say this would have saved me a lot of hassles in the past is I knew of this feature in Quicktime. Part of my problem was that I couldn't find a definitive answer to whether the files had been transcoded - Windows is useles at showing you the properties, and while CS6 does a good job, it's no good if you can't first import the troublesome file. In future I will always use Quicktime to examine problem files, as it told me in seconds what days of fiddling in other programs couldn't tell me.

So my next step now will be to get my hands on a Mac and try use MPEG Streamclip to do the conversions.

Alister Chapman July 25th, 2012 12:26 AM

Apples AIC codec!!!!!

I haven't seen that used for years, frankly that seems extremely unlikely for XDCAM material because almost certainly the original would need to be un-wrapped from the .mp4 file to an XDCAM.mov and then batch encoded to AIC, which really would be a pointless quality loosing exercise.

I'd have to question whether the original material was really XDCAM and not HDV which is what AIC was designed for.

John Wiley July 25th, 2012 12:39 AM

Alister, I can only operate on what I've been told.

Either way it was easy once I knew what I needed to do... just borrowed a friends MAC and used MPEG Streamclip clip to convert everything to h.264's which, though not an ideal editing codec, I knew would give me no hassles.

Alister Chapman July 25th, 2012 12:45 AM

You should download and install the free Avid codec set. DNxHD would be far superior to H264 for editing. Better image quality too. Don't expect the footage looks all that good having gone through the AIC codec then to H264 before it's even been edited. Did you check on your frame sizes and aspect ratio as if it was HDV encoded to AIC it is normally anamorphic 1440 x 1080.