Replace my EX1R for EX3? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 28th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Replace my EX1R for EX3?

Hi Jeroen,
No I don't use a shoulder support, only because everything I've seen has to be taken off when putting the camera in a carrying case (or backpack) and then re-attached when you take the camera out. The way I shoot, I just don't have the time for that. I meant to write to Olof, to ask him if he could make a 'flip-out' shoulder support, in other words, the shoulder-support part folds under the baseplate part so the camera can be easily stowed... and when you take the camera out of the case, you just flip the shoulder-support plate out (piano-hinge at the back of the camera area) and away you go. Olof... if you're reading this—do you think this would be possible?
I know people complain about the ergonomics of the EX1... they're no doubt camera operators who've used other cameras, better designed for long hand-held situations. But the EX1 is my first camera, and despite the fact that it's a bit hard to hold for long periods of time, I just love the camera. I think I've developed a few extra muscles in my forearms to compensate.
Regards,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #17
Major Player

I went the other way. I sold my EX3 and bought 2 EX1Rs instead. I do all sorts of productions ranging from filming concerts and stage shows to news and docs for national TV.

The only thing I miss about my EX3 is the fantastic viewfinder. To solve the handheld problem I´ve bought an Easy Rig for my EX1Rs. And I never leave home without it if I know I will be doing handheld work.

I find the EX1Rs a lot faster to work with. They give the same picture quality ( stock lens that is ) and are smaller and easier to carry.

If I were to buy a shoulder mounted camera today I would look into the JVC GY-HM 750. Not with the stock lens but one with better optical quality.

Not sure if this helps your decision. The EX3 is a fantastic camera, but with lights, better mic and wireless it was just to heavy to lug around all day. On a tripod however, it was a joy to work with.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

I rent both the EX1r and EX3 frequently and like them each for different things. For multicamera live switched, I take the EX3 every time. For handheld run-and-gun, I choose the EX1r about 75% of the time.

Your mileage may vary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svein Rune Skilnand View Post
The EX3 is a fantastic camera, but with lights, better mic and wireless it was just to heavy to lug around all day. On a tripod however, it was a joy to work with.
Hi Svein Rune. Sounds like you are getting around better than the last time we talked.
Old August 28th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #19
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Hi Jeroen,
I meant to write to Olof, to ask him if he could make a 'flip-out' shoulder support, in other words, the shoulder-support part folds under the baseplate part so the camera can be easily stowed... and when you take the camera out of the case, you just flip the shoulder-support plate out (piano-hinge at the back of the camera area) and away you go. Olof... if you're reading this—do you think this would be possible?
I know people complain about the ergonomics of the EX1... they're no doubt camera operators who've used other cameras, better designed for long hand-held situations.

Malcolm
Hi Malcolm,

I do have and use myself what I call the lean EX1 setup. It consists of plate, the wing and short shoulder brace, HoodLoop and optional NanoFlash Bracket.

This setup even with NanoFlash and wireless mic is very compact and fits in a small run bag. If you don't use the NF then it is even smaller, also the actual shoulder brace comes off instantly with one thumb screw.
This setup with the Hoodloop is very nice and light for shouldering.

This is how I use my EX1R myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Replace my EX1R for EX3?-_mg_5559.jpg   Replace my EX1R for EX3?-_mg_5677.jpg  

Attached Images

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #20
Major Player

Hi Olof,
I'd better pursue this subject off-line, because it's wandering off topic, but for me the ideal shoulder-support would simply 'fold out' into a locked position. So my camera would sit in its Portabrace bag (just like yours)... when it's in the bag, the section of plate that I'm talking about would be folded under the camera — it's attached via piano-hinge back under the battery area, or something like that; when folded under like this, it sits flat against the camera plate above it and the camera sits flat on the bottom of the bag.
(n.b. this plate might have a cut-out so you can attach the camera to a tripod without folding out this shoulder-support).
When you take the camera out of the bag, you simply fold this shoulder-plate out... when it gets to 180-degrees it snaps (locks) into place (I have no idea how)... this allows it to sit on your shoulder to provide nice support for the EX1. When you're finished shooting, you simply fold this shoulder-plate back under the camera, pop the camera in the bag and off you go.
I know you have a system that works with a thumb-screw... but (and this reflects badly on me, I know) I don't like having to deal with screws when I'm shooting on the fly. For some reason, screws that fit perfectly well when I've got lots of time NEVER seem to fit when I'm rushing.
Regards,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds