Replace my EX1R for EX3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 19th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Replace my EX1R for EX3?

I've been shooting with the EX1 and EX1R for a few years now and tried out an EX3 last week. For the first time I felt how nice it is to have a shoulder mounted camera with a proper viewfinder. I've always stayed away from shoulder mount because I started out with a PD-150 and liked the small, unassuming form factor of these types of camera's. Since then I've upgraded to the Z1, the EX1 and EX1R.

I'm considering selling my EX1R and getting an EX3.

I make documentaries and produce corporate films, event registration, the whole gamut of video production work. (I also have a GH2 with a bunch of lenses for the filmic stuff, I have a DP4 monitor but noticed I am not a fan of rigs, to understate it...)

I realize the EX3 is relatively old technology and have looked into the FS100/FS700 but they're not shouldermount and not really suitable for documentary style work, it seems.

So my question is: is there a good, 'contemporary' alternative to the EX3?
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Replace my EX1R for EX3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf View Post
So my question is: is there a good, 'contemporary' alternative to the EX3?
PMW320? Basically same technology in a true shouldermount form factor. It's about 20-25% more expensive than an Ex3, and bigger - but in a different league to the EX1 and cameras with similar form.

It may be a bit heavier than an EX3, but because it sits above the shoulder that's where all the weight is taken, it's not trying to twist the wrist as all the smaller cameras do. The EX3 is definitely a big step forward, but not as good a the PMW320.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, David, but that's too big, also moneywise. (I guess I need to slowly work my way up to a bigger camera...) The 320 and EX3 produce the same output, right? Same bitrate, colorspace?
Old July 19th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Also the 320 would need eith V-lok or 3 stud batteries and charger so there's additional expense.
Old July 19th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #5
New Boot

I needed two cameras for a job recently, so I bought an EX3 to work along side an EX1. Certainly the viewfinder is much better, particularly when the tripod is high. The intention was to sell the EX1 when the job was completed. We have now decided to keep both as two cameras are very useful in interview situations. We also looked at the 320 but glad I went for the EX3 as we have done a number of jobs recently were space has been very tight and a full size camera would have made things very difficult. For me, the only down side is that the 320 has a 16-1 zoom as against a 14-1 on the EX3.
John Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Major Player

So I understand there really is no 'updated' camera like the EX3 in the same price category? (and therefore: the EX3 is still the best choice considering image quality, price and the inbetween small and shouldermount form factor)
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #7
Major Player

i dont miss shoulder mounted at all. shot with the dsr300 for 11 years before i bought my ex1r. love this cam great image quality and i have the hoodman loupe which gives me a very sharp viewfinder since the standard one on the ex is useless.
i looked very hard at the ex3, but other than it having a good viewfinder, for my purposes,it wasnt worth the extra money and as far as it being any easier on the shoulder, the sort of shoulder brace it has doesnt offset the front heaviness of it. if you buy olofs shoulder mount for it, it would be an option, but the ex1r is so light and versatile. just finished my first short film with it and it performed flawlessly.
and i dont miss tape at all. sxs cards are great.
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Might want to wait until after the 26th. Sony | Micro Site XDCAM
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #9
Major Player

Itīs funny you bring up the Hoodman, Jim, because I was just browsing eBay to see how much my EX1R is worth and I stumbled upon this Hoodman Loupe, which seems to be very much like the loupe on the EX3! The Hoodman would take away one big problem I have with the EX1.
Itīs interesting to hear you donīt miss shouldermount. If you shoot interviews handheld, the EX1 is very hard to handle. The EX3 felt like I could keep it steady much longer, also in part by the proper viewfinder btw...

Anyway, the Hoodman could be an option, if I canīt get a decent deal on the trade-in. You definitely think it's worth the $160,- ?
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Might want to wait until after the 26th. Sony | Micro Site XDCAM
Awww no, not a new camera!!
Old July 20th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #11
Major Player

its totally worth the 160.00. as you know focussing hd is so critical. the hoodman is very well made with very good glass. has a sharp diopter and when fitted over the lcd, its razor sharp. if they didnt have this i probably wouldnt have bought the ex1r. if i would have had to just look at the lcd which is very sharp, i would have had to wear reading glasses all the time. forget it.
long interviews im using my tripod or depending where i am i can put it on a monopod and stay steady for hours.
i just think spending 2K more for the 3? i could get alot of other necessities with that extra money.
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:02 PM   #12
Sponsor: Westside AV

I love the EX3 for shoulder work and I have made an improved shoulder mount for it with space for Vmount or GoldMount batteries and a "wing" for wireless mics or Nanoflash. If you get the stacking IDX batteries you can balance the EX3 perfectly. And the shoulder brace comes off quickly for transporting in a small run bag.

This setup also makes the bottom of the camera very rugged as it is attached with 4mm screws to the camera back as well as the 1/4" base. The weak bottom always bothered me.

The kit and lots of other kits for EX1's etc is available at my WebStore here.
EX 3 Tripod plate and Shoulder Brace Options

Or you can contact me directly.

I am also very intrigued by the "new" Sony announcement. I have a FS700 arriving here next week. I would love to see an update to the EX line as well.

These are exiting times.
Attached Thumbnails
Replace my EX1R for EX3?-ex3back.jpg   Replace my EX1R for EX3?-ex3back1.jpg  

Replace my EX1R for EX3?-ex3back2.jpg   Replace my EX1R for EX3?-ex3back3.jpg  

Old August 21st, 2012, 02:42 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stamos View Post
its totally worth the 160.00. as you know focussing hd is so critical. the hoodman is very well made with very good glass. has a sharp diopter and when fitted over the lcd, its razor sharp. if they didnt have this i probably wouldnt have bought the ex1r. if i would have had to just look at the lcd which is very sharp, i would have had to wear reading glasses all the time. forget it.
long interviews im using my tripod or depending where i am i can put it on a monopod and stay steady for hours.
i just think spending 2K more for the 3? i could get alot of other necessities with that extra money.
What about the strain on the LCD screen? What I really liked about the EX3 was that I could really feel the improved stability enabling me to get much more stable shots by pressing my eye against the viewfinder. I'm afraind the weight of the Hoodman plus my eye pressing against it will strain the LCD-hinges...
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi there,
I've used the Hoodman Loupe on my EX1 for years now... I couldn't get by without it.
In answer to your question: yes, it does seem to have loosened my flip-out lcd display, which is now a bit floppy... but the display continues to work just fine, so I have no real complaints.
I'd love to find a way to tighten the display; the other day I took a really tiny screwdriver to the little screws around the display, but they weren't loose, and my attempts to tighten them didn't make a difference.
Anyway, unless the EX3 has other big advantages, I'd stick with the EX1R with the Hoodman Loupe.
Regards,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #15
Major Player

Thanks, Malcolm. The Hoodman seems nice but I'm not sold on the loose LCD-screen. That's a lot less trade-in value... Obviously another big advantage of the EX3 is weight distribution. It's a semi-shoulder design. Even though the Hoodman helps steady the EX1, it is never going to turn it into a (semi-)shoulderdesign. Do you use some sort of shouldersupport?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds