DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Convert EX1r footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/509431-convert-ex1r-footage.html)

Maurizio Panella July 19th, 2012 06:08 AM

Convert EX1r footage

Hi all
I'd like to convert my EX1r footage but I have some problems
I need simple to conform 1080 50i to 1080 25i
I have Apple CinemaTools and MPEG Streamclip in an older iMac
But they dont recognize original or .mxf files

Can you teach me a worflow?

Thanks, Maurizio

Alister Chapman July 20th, 2012 01:41 AM

Re: Convert EX1r footage

Try using VLC to convert the files.

Your missing the XDCAM codec. Ideally you need to install Final Cut Studio 2 or later. I'm not sure what includes the XDCAM codec these days. Premiere CS5 and above has the codec or you can use the CalibratedQ EX decoder. I don't think just installing XDCAM Browser is enough.

Maurizio Panella July 20th, 2012 02:06 AM

Thanks Alister
After some test I was able to see my EX1r clips in Apple Cinema Tools
In this old Imac I have FCS 2 installed
The last version of XDCAM Browser needs Final Cut X, but I uninstalled and reinstalled version 1.3
And the function "import in Final Cut Pro" give me the .mov I need
But in Apple Cinema Tools my 1920x1080 50i clips are 25i (I dont know why)
Can you give me some adice to shoot in the highest possible frame rate? (with EX1r or some external recorder)
I live in Pal land, so do you think there are some problems to shoot in ntsc here? (generally I produce sd dvd and bluray)

Thanks again and sorry for my poor english
(I'm a Filippo Chiesa friend and maybe you know him?)

Alister Chapman July 20th, 2012 03:06 AM

25i is correct, 25 frames per second, interlaced.

There is a lot of confusion around the terms 25i and 50i, both mean 25 frames per second, with two fields, there is no 50 frames per second interlaced recording format. The term 50i is used a lot to mean 50 interlaced fields, but the frame rate would still be 25 fps.

The highest frame rate you can shoot at is 60fps but this is limited to 720p. At 1080 the fastest frame rate is 30fps either interlace or progressive. You can shoot NTSC if you choose, just be aware that you may run in to issues with lighting flicker with any type of discharge lights like fluorescent as the lights flicker rate will not be an exact multiple of the cameras frame rate.

Maurizio Panella July 20th, 2012 04:14 AM

Thanks Alister,
is there an external recorder that give me 100 real fps?

Alister Chapman July 20th, 2012 04:29 AM

No, the camera can't do more than 1080p30 0r 720p60 either internally or externally. If you want slow mo then I suggest you look at the FS700.