DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Best b-roll camera for EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/509433-best-b-roll-camera-ex1.html)

Mark Chafe July 19th, 2012 07:17 AM

Best b-roll camera for EX1

Hello All,

Just wondering what would be a good camera to pair with it, other than another EX1. I was thinking along the lines of a used Z1U or FX1000 or Z5 or something. Most of the time I record one camera shoots with the EX1, however I do multi-camera sports for webcasts and some community television which is in 16:9 SD. I currently have a PD-150, however that really looses quality in 16:9 mode.

Anyone recommend anything in this range?

Thanks
Mark

Les Wilson July 21st, 2012 08:04 PM

Re: Best b-roll camera for EX1

This is a common question. Search on "b camera ex1" and you'll find some information. Bottom line it that the EX1 is so sahrt and all, it's hard to find an inexpensive camera that can do that. ALso, there's the EX1 low light performance.

The FS100 is reportedly pretty good. I use a 5Dm2.

Brett Sherman July 22nd, 2012 08:06 AM

These days I'm doing a lot of single person, two camera shoots. Not because anyone demands it, but since I'm producer/shooter/editor I find this is the best way for me to make effective videos. I've shot with two EX1s, two Canon T3is, EX1 and T3i, EX1 and Panasonic GH2. My preferred setup is the two T3is. However if I need the EX1 I have no hesitation using the T3i or GH2 as a B camera.

For matching looks I'd probably choose the GH2. I've found the sharpness of this camera similar to the EX1. As far as matching the look I think it's not too bad. T3i is easier to shoot with, but the look is more different and it's a bit soft in comparison. Getting another model of a second camera is always going to make matching difficult.

Eric Olson July 22nd, 2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Chafe (Post 1744361)
I do multi-camera sports for webcasts and some community television which is in 16:9 SD.

If you are running DV through firewire into a computer for mixing and live uplink to your webcasts and community television broadcast, then an FX1000 has firewire and will work well for widescreen SD. An FX7 is also a possibility. Although the FX7 has poor low-light performance, that is not as much a concern outdoors, in SD mode or in a well lit stadium. If you do not need firewire, then an AVCHD camera such as the NX2000 might be a better alternative.

Mark Chafe August 6th, 2012 10:46 PM

Really I have no preference for format. As long as they match up ok with the EX1. I have noticed a lot of HDR- FX1 going for relatively cheap on ebay and as long as I can get 1080i component out, I could use that, or if need be convert to SDI or HDMI.

I did have a Z1 however I sold that, along with a PD150 to get enough to get the EX1. Would the FX1 be an ok camera as B roll to the EX1, as well as be able to properly display 16:9 for SD footage as well? or are these cameras just too old and maybe an FX1000 be a closer match.

Thanks
Mark

Chris Barcellos August 7th, 2012 02:10 AM

1. No hdmi out on Fx1

2. I just bought the nx 70 u. One of the reason is that. A cluple of Ex1 owners said it made a great second camera. For them. From footage only I feel the 70u looks more like Ex than Fx1 which I own.

Eric Olson August 7th, 2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1747275)
From footage only I feel the 70u looks more like Ex than Fx1 which I own.

I expect this is in part because the FX1 uses CCD sensors while both the EX1 and NX70u use CMOS sensors. Note that the FX1000 and NX2000 also use similar CMOS sensors.