BPu60 Battery DEAD, cannot charge... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 19th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

BPu60 Battery DEAD, cannot charge...

Hi all :)

My BPu60 battery can no longer charge !

The recharge lights have been flashing continuously for nearly a WEEK ! (4 of them)

Has this happened to anyone else ?

and If i may ask a silly question... can it be fixed ? haha

Chris
Chris Amana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: BPu60 Battery DEAD, cannot charge...

How old is it? What happened before the lights started flashing?
Have you tried just leaving it on the charger overnight?
Old July 21st, 2012, 02:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Alister.

It's about two years old.

I think I might have dislodged the battery while the camera was still on, AND might have also on occasion accidentally placed the battery in whilst camera switch has been on the 'ON' position.

I've tried leaving it on the charger overnight but nothing. There's an irregular flashing on the charger alternating from the orange to green. Very unusual.

ALL of the the battery lights are still flashing. weird.

Last edited by Chris Amana; July 21st, 2012 at 03:26 AM.
Chris Amana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 06:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:- and If i may ask a silly question... can it be fixed ? haha

Hi Chris,

I have had 2 BP-U30 batteries “fail”. The first was replaced under warranty, the second failed battery could neither be charged or discharged, however 2 of the 4 charge LEDs would light. I carefully opened the dead battery as I had a use for the case. This was not easy, surprisingly, I found the problem (a low grade spot weld) but it was impossible to repair, but the cells themselves were OK. I was amazed at the amount of electronics inside the casing – I counted 9 integrated circuits. Nothing inside is easy to get at, the batteries are not made to be serviced.

The salvaged case now has a new role and I am on the look out for another dead battery casing to rehouse the still functional cells.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

hmmm ok this makes sense. Maybe I caused a spot weld by dropping the battery. I've dropped it a few times.

Well the battery finally stopped flashing making me think it had finally discharged so then tried to charge it again. Again It didn't work :(

thanx all :)
Chris Amana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds