Shooting Lightning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 21st, 2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shooting Lightning

I would like Alister & others to chime in on the best way to shoot lightning with the CMOS rolling shutter limitations.

I read somewhere that to catch every shot, shoot 1 frame every 1 second (frame rec mode). This will still play back slightly faster than real time, but you can slow it down in post.

I have also use the slow shutter in combination with interval time -lapse recording for a great effect.

I invite you to view the time-lapse lightning sequence I shot posted under the "EX sample clips" section or the "show your work" section. I have it posted in both places.

You guys agree with this set-up?

Joel Brooks
Joel Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Shooting Lightning

Sounds like you have the right idea for your settings.

When shooting lightning using interval record does work, but you need to use the 16 or 32 frame slow shutter otherwise you'll miss most of the bolts. Also the payed back speed will be either 24x 25x or 30x faster than real time, which is quite a considerable speed up. In addition you will capture lightning strikes that have multiple strokes as a single flash due to the very slow shutter.

My preferred way to shoot lightning is to shoot normal speed using cache record with a 10 second delay. I use either 24p or 25p with no shutter if during daylight and sometimes a 2 frame slow shutter at night to minimise rolling shutter artefacts. Then for a more dramatic effect I will either speed up the periods between the lightning flashes in post or edit them out. Doing the speed up or editing in post gives you much better control over the look of your finished clip and also gives you the ability to use single flashes as stand alone real time clips if you need them.
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Alister. Yes, I have used & like the16 & 32 frame effects with slow shutter at night.

I have also edited out the blank spots in post before. Works very well.

I wish that someday the CMOS technology will eliminate the rolling shutter issue altogether. It's not an issue on CCD cams, but still prefer the sensitivity & overall look with CMOS imagers.

Joel Brooks
MIT Video
Moments In Time Video Productions.
Joel Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Major Player

Great timing:
I was playing with recording lightning this week.
Slow shutter works indeed.
I'll try to combine it with the cache recording.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds