DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Just bought second hand ex1 ; error code ; is this serious?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/509567-just-bought-second-hand-ex1-error-code-serious.html)

Barry Hunt July 25th, 2012 12:04 PM

error code ; is this serious??

Hi there

I just bought an Sony EX1 today. (second hand)
I tired it out and thought that the clips were off ; i.e the colour balance seemed to be way off but hey thought that it may be settings or whatever .
When I went to connect the camera using usb and log and transfer with FCP but it does not seem to be working.

Also there on the screen there is a code that I persume is an error code. E-17001. This is in the middle of the screen up the top. Previously there was a problem with the lens ; it was chipped so a new one put onto it. Also there was a problem with backfocus but that was fixed also.

I persume that this error code is not normal as I have done a google search and I have just come up with something regarding Service-Navi Ex or something. Does anyone have any ideas on this.
Any advice would be appraciated.
Regards

Bernd Eller July 25th, 2012 12:50 PM

Re: Just bought second hand ex1 ; error code ; is this serious??

According to the Service Manual, E-17001 means an "abnormality in the media ID data in the EEPROM", and the service action to be taken is "rewriting the media ID data in the EEPROM using ServiceNavi-EX", which is a software. "For how to obtain the ServiceNavi-EX, contact your local Sony Sales Office/Service Center." Not sure if this information helps, but I hope so.

Barry Hunt July 25th, 2012 01:31 PM

Saw that alright.. Anyone else got any ideas ;
Bar

Barry Hunt July 25th, 2012 02:41 PM

Also the meter tally is two hours. Is it possible this was reset when the repairs were done
Regards

Alister Chapman July 25th, 2012 03:04 PM

Do you get the "connect to PC" message on the screen when you connect it to the computer? Have you installed Sony's XDCAM Browser software on the Mac. This is what you use to bring the footage in to FCP.

Barry Hunt July 25th, 2012 04:05 PM

Hey there
I am still at this trying to solve it. The footage will load, thanks Alastair I did not have the right software downloaded so this has been solved. I still have the error message ; I have attached photo. .
Also there is a very green tint to the footage I have shot. Really green so much so that the faces are like something out of Wizard of Oz ; Even when I go to full auto mode ; played around with white balance as well.
So anybody have any ideas how to get rid of error message or reason for it being there. I know the technical thing but anybody come across this before.
Also can the hour meter be reset and finally anyone else with the green tint.
Regards
Barry

Barry Hunt July 25th, 2012 04:30 PM

If any one has any ideas please let me know
regards
Barry

Alister Chapman July 26th, 2012 02:33 PM

Sound to me like you have a serious problem with the camera. Generally the only way to get rid of those error codes is to have the camera repaired by an authorised repair centre. Frankly I'd want my money back from whoever sold it to you as I suspect you have a lemon.

Eric Olson July 26th, 2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Hunt (Post 1745387)
If any one has any ideas please let me know

Returning the camera is a good idea.

For another idea remove the internal backup battery and all other batteries and power. Flip the power switch on the camera to drain any residual power. Obviously the camera won't actually turn on because it has no power. Wait 24 to 48 hours for the internal memory to reset. Replace the backup battery and power. Hopefully the camera will reset and the problems will permanently go away.

Andrew Stone August 4th, 2012 09:04 AM

Reports of heavy green cast have happened when the camera is white balanced when the reference scene used when balancing is heavily over-exposed. This may be the problem but not necessarily.

Eric's idea of taking out the battery and patiently not using the camera for a day or two is a sound idea in this troubleshooting exercise. If you can bail on the purchase, I would suggest you do this, otherwise do as others have suggested and get it to an authorized SONY repair depot.

Barry Hunt August 6th, 2012 04:37 AM

just an update. brought the camera to a repair shop (not sony authoriszed) . they said a problem with the processor and that it could only be fixed by sony