Sony PMW-200 Brings HD 4:2:2 Workflow to XDCAM Camcorder Line - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 12th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #151
Inner Circle

Re: Sony PMW-200 Brings HD 4:2:2 Workflow to XDCAM Camcorder Line

I didn't spot any aliasing when I used it and I wouldn't expect there to be any significant aliasing as it uses the same sensors as the EX1R and aliasing and moire are very well controlled on the EX1R/EX3.
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #152
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Darden View Post
He mentions an aliasing problem, I wonder if this will be an issue. Is there much aliasing on the EX1 / EX1R?
I don't hear him say that - have you got a time reference into the video?

It's true that any camcorder will likely have *SOME* aliasing - the questions are how much and whether it's coloured or monochrome.

The biggest problem is when it's coloured - and that's been the case with most DSLRs in the past.

A 3 chip camera, with chips of the system resolution (1920x1080) is likely to be as good as it gets - and likely to be better than any single chip camera. The design decision to be made is how to balance aliasing versus absolute sharpness via the characteristics of the lo-pass filter.

Simple answer is that there is likely to be a little, but monochrome and negligible compared to such as DSLRs. Don't see it being an issue.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #153
Major Player

Alister - thanks so much for your YouTube review of the PMW-200. It was very informative. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of one later this month. Have you posted any picture profiles for this camera yet, or is it close enough to the EX-1 to use the same profiles ? I prefer increased color saturation and sharpness over most standard factory settings.
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #154
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
You can use XQD for UDF and this is cheaper than SxS.

Of course you can always continue to use the camera in FAT mode with 35Mb/s 420 for everyday non broadcast projects with SD cards and just switch up to XQD and SxS when you need 422 and UDF. You'll still have the benefits of the slightly improved picture quality either way.
Just to confirm I can use the XQD cards H or S and still keep the 50Mb/s rate?

XQD are half the price of the SxS. Do you need any adaptors when using the XQD cards?
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #155
Inner Circle

Yes you can use XQD cards, both H and S, but you will need a matching XQD to express card adapter (Sony QDA-EX1).

No picture profiles for the PMW-200 yet. Still working on them. I wouldn't increase the detail settings above default. Your not increasing resolution, only edge contrast and excessive sharpening can look very nasty if the viewer also has the sharpening on the TV or monitor set high or you do any post work where you increase contrast.
Old September 20th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #156
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Yes you can use XQD cards, both H and S, but you will need a matching XQD to express card adapter (Sony QDA-EX1).

No picture profiles for the PMW-200 yet. Still working on them. I wouldn't increase the detail settings above default. Your not increasing resolution, only edge contrast and excessive sharpening can look very nasty if the viewer also has the sharpening on the TV or monitor set high or you do any post work where you increase contrast.
Hi Alister, I sent you an email via your profile message address did you get it by any chance?

Cheers

David
Old September 24th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #157
Major Player

In stock at B&H.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #158
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rath View Post
In stock at B&H.
Good price compared to the UK - Though is there 8% tax on that price?

Edit found it

SubTotal: $6,299.00
Sales Tax: $559.04
Shipping: Free
Order Total: $6,858.04

About $2000 more expensive than the UK price, would be worth a holiday to NYC for that!
Old September 25th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #159
Major Player

My PMW-200 is shipping today from Omega Broadcasting in Austin, TX. I would highly recommend them, although I also think B&H is great to work with. Both Omega and B&H are DVInfo.net sponsors, as most of you already know. I'll post more as I get some experience with this camera.
Old September 25th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #160
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Donnell View Post
My PMW-200 is shipping today from Omega Broadcasting in Austin, TX. I would highly recommend them, although I also think B&H is great to work with. Both Omega and B&H are DVInfo.net sponsors, as most of you already know. I'll post more as I get some experience with this camera.
Can you post some test footage at full rate? I'd like to see how my laptop handles it with effects and a filters applied.
Old September 25th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #161
Major Player

Quote:
Want to hear first if it has good slow zoom. Thanks.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:20 AM   #162
Major Player

I will try to get some raw footage up soon, and will try the slow zoom. Here is a PDF of my initial impressions regarding the camera design - no footage shot yet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Camera review.pdf (64.8 KB, 405 views)
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:44 AM   #163
Major Player

Quote:
I will try to get some raw footage up soon, and will try the slow zoom. Here is a PDF of my initial impressions regarding the camera design - no footage shot yet.
Interesting - Looking forward to seeing the footage
Old October 1st, 2012, 01:31 PM   #164
Regular Crew

@Mark-

In regards to your comparison,
it has been documented that the EX1 lens (therefore the PMW-200 as well) when at full telephoto, is at f/2.8, even though it still displays f/1.9. Also, the HPX at full telephoto is at f/3.0, not f/2.8 as stated, according to Panasonic's specs.

My PMW-200 should arrive this week.

I currently shoot on an HMC-150, which has the same "front end" as the HPX170.

It's discouraging to read that Mark thought the PMW200's viewfinder isn't as good as the HPX170's.
I dislike the HMC150's viewfinder (which is the same as the HPX170). I think it's too small and low res.
The best I've seen on a handheld camera is on the Canon XF300/305 series.

I'm going to put the PMW-200 through it's paces next weekend and see how it compares to my HMC150. I'm sure it'll be better, but will it be $4000 better?
Bill Petropoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 02:34 PM   #165
Inner Circle

If it's the same as the EX1R viewfinder, you may encounter something known as "The Rainbow Effect." There is no way to adjust the saturation, but you can adjust the backlight of the EVF to be brighter.

Did you use the BP-U30 battery when you made your balance assessment, Mark? The same could be said for the EX1R being front heavy. I remember that the optimum balance for the camera is with a BP-U60 battery from Alister's review.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds