Sony PMW-200 Brings HD 4:2:2 Workflow to XDCAM Camcorder Line - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 25th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Sony PMW-200 Brings HD 4:2:2 Workflow to XDCAM Camcorder Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rath View Post
DC input is inside the battery compartment, so it won't take other manufacturers big batteries?
PMW-100 had this as well, so we should have seen this coming. This would mean that the only way to mount third-party batteries like Switronix, Swit, or Etc is a shoulder rig. (provided the pigtail cable is long enough)

That might just defeat the purpose of those third party BP-U batteries altogether since people using shoulder rigs would most likely use IDX or Anton Bauers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Thomas View Post
Pg. 30 of manual:
"Slow Motion recording by the Slow & Quick Motion recording function (page 50) cannot be made with a
“Memory Stick” or an SDHC card."
“Memory Stick” media and SDHC cards do not
support recording with UDF." -I guess that means no 50mbs 422 with card adapters.
The EX1R manual said you couldn't overcrank with the memory stick adapter, but the SDHC adapter as of this firmware still allows S&Q. This might change though, so I would be cautious about updating the firmware on your cameras.

No 50Mbps on SDHC just was the dagger in the heart of me wanting one. This is Sony subtlely forcing back SxS cards onto everyone. I'd rather deal with CF and SDHC than SxS for now, being budget conscious.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #17
Trustee

Interesting,

Look at both, the PMW 100 and the 200.

The PMW 200 is literally the exact same manufactured body from the front handle column moving back but with an EX1r lens assembly up front. You can even see the plastic design seem that allows for the camera to be manufactured as a 100 or 200. This prolly saves allot of manufacturing cost. Even the rocker is the same.

Just saw a review on YouTube that stated that the Fujinon lens zoom servo control is finally fixed. The PMW 200 can supposedly do very slow crawl zooms now. (unlike the EX1r's "# 8 speed" firmware setting) That's a big deal to me as I like extremely slow creeping zooms at times.

I will prolly buy this thing but I think the EX1r has a more "Pro" looking body. (not that it matters that much in the end)

When will we see a new next-gen removable lens PMW 300. We all know it's on it's way. NAB 2013?

CT

Bye bye XDCAM EX 4:2:0 MPEG 2,...Looks like Sony is done with it. Over the years, you served us well. (I'm expecting a 4:2:2 F3 next year too...it's the last camera that needs it)
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #18
Regular Crew

First Video:
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I warned you, I would have won a lot of money on my bet on this so called "big news" empty hype that I knew would be nothing.
Dylan Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Full review here: 50 Megabits for the masses, the new Sony PMW-200. |
Old July 26th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Great review Alistair, but what about the ergonomics? Did you any hand hold work?

The XF300 feels like its going to break your wrist after a couple hrs shooting with it because of its lack of rotational handgrip.

How did you find the balance of the PMW-200 in your hands?

Cheers
Mark Andersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 01:26 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Forget those last questions, i see its all answered in your video ;)

Great review!
Mark Andersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Alister, your links to the full resolution images are dead. You mind fixing these up?

I think the handgrip is a give and take. The rotation really benefited the EX1 for unique camera positions, but it threw the balance of the camera off. With a stationary grip and good balance, that kind of mitigates the front heavy problem.

One thing (if I were to go an use one of these) that I would miss is the battery as a pseudo shoulder brace. Having the narrow side of the battery to be a brace is less comfortable than the flat/wide side.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Thanks for the broken links heads up. All fixed now.
Old July 26th, 2012, 02:43 AM   #25
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
No 50Mbps on SDHC just was the dagger in the heart of me wanting one. This is Sony subtlely forcing back SxS cards onto everyone. I'd rather deal with CF and SDHC than SxS for now, being budget conscious.
For 50Mbps you can now use the new XQD cards from Sony/SanDisk/Nikon as well as the SxS cards ... you'll need an adapter
David Paul Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 02:46 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Thomas View Post
“Memory Stick” media and SDHC cards do not
support recording with UDF." -I guess that means no 50mbs 422 with card adapters.
It should be possible to format SDHC cards as UDF - whether that means they could be made to work at 50Mbs with a PMW200 is another matter. Alister.....?

If you have an Ex1 and nonoFlash, thn I'd agree not much point in ruhing out to reequip. If you were about to buy an XF305, a very different story. The 1/2" chips versus 1/3" is a huge difference.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 02:50 AM   #27
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
I'll wait to see what BBC has to say about the PMW-200 - hope it won't go the PMW-100 way!
BBC don't approve camcorders any more. It's now all via the EBU (European Broadcast Union), here is their camcorder recommendation tiering .... https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/r/r118.pdf

PMW-200 suitable as the main camcorder :)
David Paul Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #28
Inner Circle

No way to get SDHC cards to work at 50 Mb/s in any of the Sony PMW camcorders. The camera simply rejects the card. UDF has to be used for 50Mb/s as there is no file size restriction as with FAT. There can be performance and reliability issues when you format an SD card using anything other than FAT. The cards are designed specifically for FAT32 (SDHC) and the wear levelling systems work specifically with the block sizes used by FAT32. If you use UDF on an SDHC card you run a higher risk of corruption and performance issues and that's probably why Sony won't allow it.

I have not tried XQD in the PMW-200 so I cannot comment.
Old July 26th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #29
Inner Circle

I think this is a good update from Sony (albeit with a few backward steps like the power in location behind the battery and the non-rotatable handgrip). I love that pre-record cache is of a useful time duration for the sorts of reasons Alister mentions in his review plus not needing to go through the time consuming Camera to Media functions for anything more than last clip reviewing. And of course that lovely codec.

Still no burning need for me to upgrade my EX3 though - phew! Surely, there must be a EX3 type 'PMW-300' in the works for the future - that's the one I'm after!

I have a couple of questions.

1. I see some ventilation grills. Sure, I know why they are there and have read the stuff about them having an internal baffle to prevent raindrop ingress. However, what about dust? I know my EX3 is not dust proof but I've used it in some pretty inhospitable industrial/factory environments. Just wondering if there are any foam filters or other protection to stop particle ingress into the optical area (or is that block all completely sealed internally anyway?)

2. Will the EX1r still be in the range (as a 4.2.0 only camera) or is it now discontinued? It's quite a bit cheaper than this new offering and still a great cam, and with an external recorder offers essentially the same 4.2.2. performance - baring the PMW-200 sensor's very slight noise improvements that Alister commented upon in his review.
Old July 26th, 2012, 05:05 AM   #30
Inner Circle

The camera is covered in ventilation grills, most off them on the rear of the camera body and underside. I would hope that the sensor area is separated from the rest of the camera to prevent dust ingress, I don't think Sony would release a camera with this many vents without protecting the sensor area somehow.

Don't know about the EX1R.I suspect it will be discontinued in the not too distant future, but that is speculation. Currently it looks like a £1k price hike for the PMW-200 over an EX1R, but the 200 is new so maybe the price will get squeezed down over time.

As well as the noise reduction I'm also noticing that skin tones are a little better. Some of the "muddy" look that the EX1R can exhibit with mid tones at times appears to have been reduced. I think Sony have done quite a bit of work on the image processing. The interviews in the video review were shot with a pre production PMW-200 and I think they look quite nice.

http://youtu.be/qQoDRNinmss

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds