DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   PDF copy of Field Guide for EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/509769-pdf-copy-field-guide-ex1.html)

Graeme Fullick August 3rd, 2012 03:20 PM

PDF copy of Field Guide for EX1

I guess that this message is for Doug - but others might also be interested.

I have been using the Vortex Media field guide for my EX1 for some time now and find it excellent, as I use my EX1 only every now and then, and constantly need reminding on finer points of detail for use. I am about to go on a trip overseas and would like to minimise weight. I will be taking an Ipad with me and plan to have all of my camera manuals and documents in PDF on the Ipad. To this end I have been looking to see if I could obtain a PDF copy of the field guide. There seems to be some illegal copies on the net, but I would prefer to support the author and purchase it if possible, even though I already have the hard copy.

Doug, is there any legal PDF copies of the guide? I am fully aware of the problems of people stealing intellectual property and making it available on the net in PDF form, but it would make a very good book even better.

All the best,

Graeme

Jack Zhang August 3rd, 2012 04:04 PM

Re: PDF copy of Field Guide for EX1

Best bet is actually an iBooks release since that has DRM protection. Downside is that you need an iOS device.

Richard Davidson August 7th, 2012 08:08 AM

As to a PDF unless you spend $10K to $20K with Adobe protection is something that doesn't exist. DRM isn't much better in that regard either. That is the problem in this digital age, very hard to protect anything unless you print it. I have a PDF application that I haven't pursued selling because I cannot protect it. Adobe doesn't have anything for the little guy to truly protect their documents.

BTW I just purchased the printed copy and very happy with it.

Alister Chapman August 7th, 2012 12:32 PM

If you have the printed version you could always photograph the pages.

There is a great free app called LVRHD from Liman Video Rental that has manuals for most of the popular current cameras (EX3 but not EX1) an electronic back focus chart, Lens data, recording time tables for various media including SxS, world TV standards and lots of other useful stuff. Best bit is it's free.

John DuMontelle August 7th, 2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme Fullick (Post 1746812)
I am about to go on a trip overseas and would like to minimise weight.

Just me being old school but...my EX3 Vortex guide is always tucked into the pocket of my camera bag. A reliable friend in my times of need and no worries about having to keep it charged to use! Keep it simple and just take the book along. Having an iPad out too much just makes you an even more enticing target for thieves anyway.

Eric Olson August 8th, 2012 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme Fullick (Post 1746812)
Doug, is there any legal PDF copies of the guide?

As already mentioned, you could scan your print version to create an electronic copy for your personal use. In many places this would be considered fair use, but you are travelling between countries and local copyright laws may vary. More importantly, the quality of a scanned .pdf copy will be inferior to a digitally prepared .pdf from the original source files. An electronic version of the book seems like a good idea.