DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   no sound on the channel 2 recordings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/509957-no-sound-channel-2-recordings.html)

Frank Leggett August 12th, 2012 04:39 AM

no sound on the channel 2 recordings

Hi,

Here is a strange one. I have been doing some recordings with a radio mic on input 1 and 3 and using the camera mic for background on channel 2 and 4.

I played back some recordings from yesterday and there is no sound on channel 2 but when I play it back on the camera the meter is going up and down on channel 2 but no sound is coming out on the headphones.

It doesn't make sense that the meters are going up and down normally but there is no sound out on the headphones or on the files when played on the computer.

Frank

Alister Chapman August 12th, 2012 09:22 AM

Re: no sound on the channel 2 recordings

Which camera, how are you playing the files back on the computer?

Frank Leggett August 15th, 2012 01:21 PM

Hi,

The camera is a PMW 320 and the recordings have sound on Channels 1, 2, 3 and 4 when played back according to the meter on the side of the camera but no sound coming out of the headphone socket on channels 2 and 4. I have downloaded the file directly from the SD card (I use a SxS to SD card adapter) into premiere and there is no sound on either channel (Premiere CS6). I used XDCAM Browser and converted the file to MXF and all the channels are back.

When playing the MP4 file directly in VLC the is no sound on Channel 2.

The SD card has been used many times without problems and this is the first time I have had any problems. I have checked using a different SD card and still the same.

Allan Black August 15th, 2012 04:40 PM

4 track recording on cam can be fraught with difficulties, not to mention low quality. Check through your cams manual in the audio section, you might find the answer there.

Cheers.

Robin Probyn August 15th, 2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Leggett (Post 1748093)
Hi,

Here is a strange one. I have been doing some recordings with a radio mic on input 1 and 3 and using the camera mic for background on channel 2 and 4.

I played back some recordings from yesterday and there is no sound on channel 2 but when I play it back on the camera the meter is going up and down on channel 2 but no sound is coming out on the headphones.

It doesn't make sense that the meters are going up and down normally but there is no sound out on the headphones or on the files when played on the computer.

Frank

Not really directly concerning your sound problem.. normally I would put the main sound.. ie your two radio mic,s on channels 1 and 2... and then have 3 and 4 on the camera mic even in auto level as background..
then you can monitor 1 & 2 at the same time from the camera.. you can check 3 and 4 just by the meters moving.. I dont think you can monitor 1 and 3 at the same time from the camera.. either 1&2 or 3&4..and have never heard of anyone using 1 and 3 for main sound and 2 and 4 for background.. doesnt really make sense

Frank Leggett August 16th, 2012 12:12 AM

I just use 1 and 2 for sound, 3 & 4 are a back up in case these is a problem on one of the tracks. The main point is I'm having trouble getting sound out of Ch 2.

Frank Leggett August 16th, 2012 03:43 AM

OK I admit I'm stupid. I checked the manual and found there is a toggle switch next to the monitor level which selects what sound comes out of the Headphone socket. In my defence it is under the camera glove I have fitted and there isn't a window or access flap for it so I didn't see it.
I'm still don't know why Channel 2 audio doesn't play back when viewing the original MP4 file using VLC or why Premiere CS6 doesn't import the sound when importing as an MP4. Not to mention why XDCam Browser won't run on my computer.

Frank

Allan Black August 16th, 2012 02:51 PM

Frank, join the club and stay with it, the answer is still probably in the manuals.

It's a good idea to open and read any cams manual at any page, every now and then. You get a cheap refresher course, find something you'd maybe forgotten, didn't know and possibly stave off a disaster.

Cheers.

Robin Probyn August 17th, 2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Leggett (Post 1748658)
I just use 1 and 2 for sound, 3 & 4 are a back up in case these is a problem on one of the tracks. The main point is I'm having trouble getting sound out of Ch 2.

Hi Frank.. ok sorry..but in your original post you said you had radio mics on channels 1 and 3.. dont worry too much about VLC .. I couldnt get any sound at all from VLC player.. !!

I think XDCAM browser is your best bet.. I was new to tapeless Sony a year ago.. and had all sorts of trouble getting play back.. but XDCAM browser is the best way to go for down loading and playback .. which also was the advise i got from this forum.. it should work on any computer unless maybe your OS is very old or the computer itself is too old..

Frank Leggett August 25th, 2012 01:24 AM

I have got XDCam Browser to work by uninstalling and reinstalling again.