PMW-350 flash colours at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 21st, 2012, 05:11 AM   #1
Major Player

PMW-350 flash colours

Hi all,

Weird topic-title but OK. I'm currently having an issue with blue flashes and my PMW-350 (with standard lens). Check the overheated colours of the blue flashes of the fire trucks in e.g. this videoitem:

My EX1R gives me overall more saturated colours but doesn't have this issue. The colours the PMW-350 produces with this picture profile created by Alister are OK and look quite natural. But those flashes keep annoying me. Is this a picture profile issue and if so, which value should I change? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Gabor
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: PMW-350 flash colours

The only thing I would suggest is to reduce your overall saturation level a bit. It looks like the piece was shot in the evening, so it's not really all that surprising to see the blue flashing lights illuminating things blue.
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Major Player

I've been seeing this in other forums. There's something about blue LED's that is very non-linear.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Trustee

The direct light coming from the red brake lights and the blue strobes appear equally strong even though the blue strobe device has much higher intensity. This is because the direct blue light is overexposed. The reflections of light are not overexposed however, so the reflected blue appears much stronger on the faces. Those are the only two colors of direct light of any notable prominence. If somehow the reflected intensity of the blue was reduced to appear more balanced when compared to the reflected intensity of the lower powered red, that would not properly represent the scene.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds