S x S media restore at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 20th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

S x S media restore

I had my first case of 'Restore Media' yesterday.

The two cards in question, both 16gb. were last used in June of ths year. The media captured with my Ex1 was transferred to my pc in the usual way via the Sony clip browser without incident.

I was preparing to delete the content on the cards and each time was asked to restore the media.

I did as requested and afterwards checked the original caotures were still there, which they were. I then deleted the clips which is my normal routine with these cards. Tried a few new captures and everything seems fine.

My question is why would I be asked to restore the media?
Greg Hawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: S x S media restore

The the battery die whilst the camera was on or recording? That is a common cause.
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Sometimes, if you're moving/modifying clips with Clip Browser, it modifys the index XML file incorrectly, not properly inserting line breaks.

This can make the camera assume the card is broken. I freaked out like you did, but this was on a SDHC card so I semi-expected it. I did the restore and it fixed that one XML file that was problematic.

Usual way to fix bad line breaks in the XML file is to transfer your working folder into your camera, record a short clip, delete that clip, then transfer back making sure not to use Clip Browser to modify the folder. Modifications should be done in camera.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Jack. That sounds plausable.
Greg Hawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Tourist

I had this one time with 32GB SxS, PMW350, when my battery was emty during record. I transmit files to my PC, but only last file didnt. I had to restore inside my camera, then back to PC and everything worked fine.

In general, there could be some problems when camera switch off in case of emty battery. So we should be careful, not only due to SxS restore.
Werner Riedl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Major Player

well its every time, i use a Mac Pro, with xdcam browser, and every time i off load the cards, i pop them back into the camera and i get the restore the media, i do it and it all seems fine, this has been on both Ex1 and Ex3 for years.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #7
Major Player

Had the card been in a Mac? Macs have a habit of spewing files over any media inserted into them. Take a USB stick with files on it, plug it into a Mac and then into a PC. On a PC you'll see the Mac puts lots of files onto the stick that are invisible on a Mac.

This can upset the EX1. If you use a Mac you should always format the card in the camera before reuse and not delete clips.

Last edited by Marcus Durham; September 27th, 2012 at 05:11 AM.
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #8
Major Player

Isnt it standard procedure to reformat in the camera ..? I have a Mac and use XDCAM Browser and have never had a problem.. I dont get it.. only takes a few seconds.. is there a reason so many people dont seem to do this. ...?
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 05:10 AM   #9
Major Player

There's some kind of urban myth floating around that just deleting clips is "better" for the cards. Obviously total rubbish.
Old September 27th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I've used my two 32 GB SXS cards in my EX3 for almost two years now. I edit on a MacBook Pro with Final Cut Pro 7. Depending on my need...I either use XDCAM Browser or XDCAM Transfer to offload video for editing.

Not once in all that time have I had the Restore Media issues mentioned here.

It makes me wonder if the cards are being properly ejected from the computer before being reinserted back into the camera. If this is a constant problem then something is being done improperly during the process. No offense to anyone but I'd bet more on this being a case of operator error.

I don't reformat my cards. Ever. I just delete all clips instead and everything has been fine. I have picture profiles on them I don't want to lose and have to reinstall on the card every time after doing a full reformat. I also have never had an issue of the Mac putting extra "invisible" files on the cards. I always get the same amount if record space after deleting the clips. If it kept putting files on there I would see fewer minutes of record time left over...but I don't.

Seems to me some myths are being pushed here on this thread which just don't live up to what my experience has been with my own SXS workflow.

But...I'll keep an open mind! ;)
Old September 27th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DuMontelle View Post
I always get the same amount if record space after deleting the clips. If it kept putting files on there I would see fewer minutes of record time left over...but I don't.
The indexing files Macs write are usually tiny so you won't notice any drop in available minutes.

You may want to read up below.

.DS_Store - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although in my experience the writing doesn't always happen. But when it does it seems to throw the camera. I haven't experimented but it may be that opening the card in Finder triggers the write rather than just inserting it.
Old September 29th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for the extra info.
However...I think you're idea of "spewing" is a little different from mine! ;)
Old September 29th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
The indexing files Macs write are usually tiny so you won't notice any drop in available minutes.

You may want to read up below.

.DS_Store - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although in my experience the writing doesn't always happen. But when it does it seems to throw the camera. I haven't experimented but it may be that opening the card in Finder triggers the write rather than just inserting it.
So to delete clips or reformat seems to be a Mac PC thing.. Im a mac user, maybe that is why Ive had no trouble as I always reformat in the camera..?
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds