Weird EX3 Focus issue Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Weird EX3 Focus issue Help

I shot some reporter stand ups on a mono pod with the steady shot on, I zoomed in each take focused sharp and used expanded focus to check and then rolled, everything looked sharp in the viewfinder but only the reporter looks soft everything else is sharp? I never had this issue before any ideas.
Help
Thanks
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Weird EX3 Focus issue Help

How close were you to the reporter? If you were less than 2.7 feet from the reporter (on the stock lens) you're too close. Hence, why the reporter was out of focus.

You can also have peaking adjusted too high to give the illusion of sharpness where there is none. May want to turn down peaking in that case.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 04:42 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Your back focus is probably out. This will cause a shift of your focus point between wide and telephoto, so zooming in to focus and then zooming out will throw off your focus.

There is a back focus/flange back routine in the lens section of the menu for the EX3. Place the camera about 4m/15ft square on from a brick wall or other flat but textured or detailed surface (wall paper, focus start chart) and perform the FB routine.

It's not uncommon for the back focus to go out of calibration if the camera gets bumped around or knocked.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I reset the back focus this morning, but haven't been able to test it. Here is a screen grab from the shoot.
Attached Thumbnails
Weird EX3 Focus issue Help-dwts2.bmp  

Last edited by Brent Kaplan; October 3rd, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:32 PM   #5
Major Player

Maybe not back focus .. as in that case everything would soft.. as Jack mentioned it does look like your reporter is too close for minimum focus.. although its very wide angle with a small chip so Im surprised the focus didnt hold .. but thats what it looks like.. can you test a similar setup hand held and just lean back and forwards and see if you can get focus.. ?
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Major Player

This is either a back focus (which you might have to reset several times to get it right) or the lens was positioned in autofocus mode and when it saw all those beautiful contrasty line lines in the background, it focused there.
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #7
Trustee

The other thing you should check, is the lens lock. I managed to move this by simply putting the camera in my case and I couldn't work out why the camera was not focusing properly. Fortunately I did check the lens tightness and cured the problem. Although the locking lever had only moved up a fraction it was enough to put the focusing out.

Just a thought

Just downloaded your image, it looks like the fccus has jumped onto the background, were you using AutoFocus?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds