Natural/Pure ATW setting for PMW 200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 13th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #1
New Boot

Natural/Pure ATW setting for PMW 200

What is the difference between the Natural and Pure ATW setting in the PMW 200? When would you use them?
Duane Dubiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 09:35 AM   #2
Tourist

Re: Natural/Pure ATW setting for PMW 200

Has anyone answered this question yet?

I have found this here; looks like if you _not_ going to match cameras, best to use Natural white.

From PMW-EX1R to PMW-200 : United Kingdom : Sony Professional
"Allow users to set AutoTracing White (ATW) in “Natural” White and “Pure” White. Better ATW Balance reproduction depending on customer profile : Natural ATW for corporate shooting. Pure ATW for PDW-68 , PDW-700, PDW-F800 matching in broadcast shooting"

This other 'explanation' from page 87 of the Manual is very confusing:

Sony PMW200 | User Manual (PMW-100 Memory Camcorder Operation Manual for Firmwar - Page 87
“ATW Mode ATW mode setting Natural / Pure Natural: Depending on the brightness of scenes, automatically adjusts the white balance to natural ambience. Pure: Not leaving the blue color or red color, automatically adjusts the white balance closer to original colors. Set to "On" when a wide-conversion lens is attached”

Still, I'd love to hear a better answer on this question of which setting when: Natural vs Pure ATW setting for PMW 200?

Thanks!
Lynn Weissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:34 PM   #3
Vortex Media

Re: Natural/Pure ATW setting for PMW 200

This is a topic I talk a little about in my PMW-200 training video.
Mastering the PMW-200-160-150-100 Camcorders

At the time it was introduced on PMW-200/160/100 it was a new feature for Sony cameras, and I don't know if they've ever used it on any others. “Natural” is programmed to provide a white balance with natural-looking whites -- like you’d see with your naked eye under the current lighting conditions. On the other hand, “Pure” tries to keep whites looking pure white. Its mostly designed to be used in conjunction with tungsten lighting. In fact, if you’re working with daylight-balanced LEDs or fluorescents, you might not see any difference at all between the two modes.

But for most professionals it shouldn't matter how it works. The main thing to keep in mind is that it only works with ATW, and I strongly advise against the use of automatic white balance for professional video.

Doug

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds