DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Footage into FCP7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/511587-footage-into-fcp7.html)

Robin Probyn October 22nd, 2012 05:40 PM

Footage into FCP7

Footage finally arrived today. How do I get it into Final Cut 7?

Got this message from a client this morning,Im not an editor so posting here for any advise ?

From other posts I thought maybe he doesnt have the codec,and would need a plug in..

File is on HDD.. mac format (not the problem)
Sony XDCAM 422 HD MXF UDF 24p 1080

Thanks

Luc De Wandel October 28th, 2012 04:44 PM

Re: Footage into FCP7

Use the "Log & Transfer" option (under 'file') in FCP7. Enter the hard drive and the folder after clicking the folder icon top left and mark the clips you want to import.

You need a plugin to have 'Log & Transfer' work properly. Here you can find plug-ins and other useful software from Sony: Sony | Micro Site XDCAM

Robin Probyn October 29th, 2012 10:52 PM

Manu thanks..

Since then had the same problem with FCP X.. when you down load the in UDF mode there are 9 folders .. not one BPAV.. and it seems log and transfer doesn't see them..

There was a way with using XDCAM browser.. but so far can only ingest one file at a time..

Thanks again

Jonathan Bird November 8th, 2012 07:59 PM

Similar problem here. I just got a PMW-200. Have been using the EX1 for years with FCP 7 and Log and Transfer. I have downloaded the latest FAM driver and the latest (V.1.2) Log and Transfer plugin. I can still transfer 35 Mbps (FAT) files but it gives the old "unsupported media" warning on the 50 Mbps (UDF) file structure. It's very frustrating. I know I'm missing something that Sony tried very hard to make completely hard to find.

Rick L. Allen November 8th, 2012 08:16 PM

Jbird, Pretty sure you need to use the XDCAM Browser V2.1 to do that. XDCAM Transfer is end of life.
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-x...oad.shtml#apps

Let me know what you think of the cam!

Jonathan Bird November 8th, 2012 08:49 PM

Hey Rick!! LOL, fancy meeting you here.

That might explain it. Next time you see me, I will be missing a bunch of hair because I pulled it all out trying to figure out how to get Log and Transfer to work on the HD422 (50 Mbps) footage. The UDF file structure is different and FCP doesn't like it.

I can get the stand alone app (XDCAM Browser) to work fine, but that thing is just so clunky compared to Log and Transfer. Ugh!!

The PMW-200 is wonderful. I will admit that I do miss the rotating grip of the EX1, but everything else is better on the 200. I'm not that big a fan of the 4:2:2 mode to be honest, unless you are doing chroma keying or something and need the color resolution. It looks pretty similar to 35 Mbps 4:2:0 in most real-world shooting. But you can only get 4 tracks of audio in 50 Mbps mode, so I can see using it when we have 2 lavs going and want to get the nat sound off the camera mic at the same time.

My biggest gripe with the 200 is the shotgun mic mount which is way out in right field, requiring a larger pelican case than really ought to be necessary. The viewfinder is every bit as crappy as the one on the EX1R, but the flip out screen is astonishingly sharp and easy to focus with. Switching between shooting mode and playback mode is way faster and easier than the EX1. And the cache record function will come in handy.

Jonathan

Robin Probyn November 8th, 2012 09:38 PM

What seemed to work..

Get your thumb nails up in Explorer window.. select all.. right click .. export to FCP..

Set FCP preference to FCP7.. also read its better to start up XDCAM Browser with FCP.. to git it into "plugin mode" rather than "stand alone mode "

I shoot now with a PMW500.. editors hear SXS card and think ok no problem.. log and transfer.. which doesnt work as well as being a discontinued software....

Re Importing files into current project and Import Destination folder:

As you have probably seen, you set the Import folder within Browser's preferences. You can point this to any location on the system.

If the file did not appear in your FCP Project you may have opened Browser in 'standalone' mode. Open by selecting File menu-->Import-->Sony XDCAM Browser within FCP. This launches the Browser application in plugin mode. If you launch Browser by itself, in Standalone mode, the clips will import but they won't be mapped to a project.

The PROJECT field is sync'd to FCP, so if you have, for example, three different FCP projects open you can select the one to which the clips will be sent. You can't type in this field; it's just a drop-down menu, and if you launch Browser in Standalone mode this is greyed out.

Re File names:

In the Import dialog box that pops up after you select 'Import Into FCP' you'll see a list of the files queued for import. The 'Registration File' column refers to the name of the .mov file that will be created. By default, Browser uses an auto-naming scheme that you can configure in the Preferences. You can also click on any file in the 'registration File' column and change the name there.

The auto naming scheme is configured under Preferences-->FCP Tab. You'll see boxes you can check to include the media name (SxS Card, XDCAM disc etc), the in/out time code etc in the file name of the QT file. (Again- even if you set this up you can still change the name of the QT file as you import by clicking on it in the Registration File column.)

Jonathan Bird November 9th, 2012 09:57 AM

Thanks for the tips. I wonder if Sony could make it any more clunky?

I spent hours trying to make the new Log and Transfer plugin work (V1.2 for FCP7 that is supposed to work with UDF formatted cards and HD422 footage from the PMW-200). I can't get it to ingest anything but 35 Mbps FAT files. If anyone does get it to work, please let me know how!

Doug Jensen November 9th, 2012 06:17 PM

Jonathan, what advantage(s) do you hope to gain by using "Log & Transfer" even if you can get it work? Talk about a clunky interface.

I can import UDF clips into FCP7 by right-clicking in a bin . . . choosing IMPORT > SONY XDCAM BROWSER. After XDCAM Browser opens, I select the clips I want . . . right-click on one of them . . . and choose IMPORT INTO FINAL CUT PRO. The clips then appear in the FCP bin automatically. Works everytime I try it -- even though that is NOT my normal workflow.

Does that method not work for you?

"Mastering the PMW-200-160-150-100 Camcorders