DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Problem with SDHC card in 34 express card transfer from EX3 ... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/512246-problem-sdhc-card-34-express-card-transfer-ex3.html)

Dean Harrington November 22nd, 2012 06:35 AM

Problem with SDHC card in 34 express card transfer from EX3 ...

2 Attachment(s)
I wonder if you anyone has experienced the following problem. Upon insertion of the 34 express card with a sandisk extreme 10 36 gig card ... opened in XDCAM Transfer.app ... I get a message that tells me 'Error Scanning Device' (see attachment) and then, the clips come up and act normal. 4 of the clips (about 3.5 gigs in size) get another message when I attempt to 'Export clip to File' (see attachment). Now, the odd thing is that the clips in question play fine in both Transfer. app and in XDCAM browser.app? I really would like a bit of help getting these clips to transfer. Is it possible to do a 'DiskWarrior' cleanup on the 34 express card and get the clips to work? All other clips work properly?
I need all the help I can get ... do need to save the clips.

John Peterson November 22nd, 2012 08:52 AM

Re: Problem with SDHC card in 34 express card transfer from EX3 ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Harrington (Post 1764597)
I wonder if you anyone has experienced the following problem. Upon insertion of the 34 express card with a sandisk extreme 10 36 gig card ... opened in XDCAM Transfer.app ... I get a message that tells me 'Error Scanning Device' (see attachment) and then, the clips come up and act normal. 4 of the clips (about 3.5 gigs in size) get another message when I attempt to 'Export clip to File' (see attachment). Now, the odd thing is that the clips in question play fine in both Transfer. app and in XDCAM browser.app? I really would like a bit of help getting these clips to transfer. Is it possible to do a 'DiskWarrior' cleanup on the 34 express card and get the clips to work? All other clips work properly?
I need all the help I can get ... do need to save the clips.

I use the Sony Clip Browser for transfer with my EX1, but I did run into a problem one time. My solution was to use the camera to make another copy of the file onto a different SDHC card in the other slot. Then the Clip Browser mysteriously had no problem with the copy.

John

Kevin Spahr November 24th, 2012 09:47 AM

I would second that suggestion. Always try to make a copy first - maybe even copy the entire card and try to recover clips from the copy. You might want to lock the card you're having trouble with so nothing gets modified on the card. Only as a total last resort would I perform an operation on the card containing the original data.

I had a problem similar to this once. I was able to get the clips off the card through making a copy in the camera. Then when I went to render out to DVD the render would fail every time. I then started to render smaller and smaller portions of my time line till I found the problem. It was just a couple frames in one of the clips that were on the problem card. I cut those bad frames and I could then render the project.

Also make sure to mark the problem card and be wary of using it again.

Dean Harrington November 24th, 2012 05:00 PM

I'm copying the clip over to B card now ... let you know how it goes. I did copy out to the nanoflash but it made a hugh file.

Alister Chapman November 25th, 2012 04:18 AM

You might need to start using XDCAM Browser rather than the now no longer supported XDCAM Transfer Tool. It might be that your seeing errors because the Transfer Tool was written for older versions of OSX.

Dean Harrington November 25th, 2012 04:33 AM

Thanks ... I didn't know that!

Dean Harrington December 3rd, 2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1764943)
You might need to start using XDCAM Browser rather than the now no longer supported XDCAM Transfer Tool. It might be that your seeing errors because the Transfer Tool was written for older versions of OSX.

Alister ... the only thing I see in XDCAM Browser that transfers clips is MXF ... is that what you mean? If so, what software do you think does the best transfer into FCP 7?

Jack Zhang December 4th, 2012 04:53 PM

There's an "To Final Cut Pro" option that exports a MOV file. That is not in the Export menu, but rather a right/control click option when you click on a file.

Dean Harrington December 4th, 2012 06:06 PM

Thanks Jack!

Dean Harrington December 11th, 2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1766353)
There's an "To Final Cut Pro" option that exports a MOV file. That is not in the Export menu, but rather a right/control click option when you click on a file.

Sorry Jack,
I'm still having problems here. Do you mean right click on the mouse ... or hold down ctrl while clicking with the mouse .. both haven't worked so far?

Dean Harrington December 13th, 2012 05:56 PM

It seems that the real answer is XDCAM TRANSFER 213 which is meant to cover all XDCAM devices for XDCAMs. On Mac, this works in Lion and maybe Mountain Lion. I did transfer clips into mountain lion with no problems. So, if you are working in anything later than Snow Leopard ... this is your software.