Filming in Finland Advice (FAO: Alister?) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:25 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Filming in Finland Advice (FAO: Alister?)

ah ok .. sorry didnt see that you are on windows.. I guess you could use the camera USB2 port to down load until the Sony USB3 one is available.. got an email from B&H they are still waiting for supply..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:23 AM   #17
Inner Circle

A possible option might be to hire something like a Nexto DI NVS2500.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:31 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Probyn View Post
ah ok .. sorry didnt see that you are on windows.. I guess you could use the camera USB2 port to down load until the Sony USB3 one is available.. got an email from B&H they are still waiting for supply..
No can do with that as the camera will be sealed in a bag like Alister suggested to prevent condensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
A possible option might be to hire something like a Nexto DI NVS2500.

Yeah I thought about that but would I need the UDF version because I'm recording at the higher rate? Also read that the UDF won't work with Windows
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:43 PM   #19
Major Player

Sounds like you need to buy a mac :)
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #20
Major Player

Not a Apple user, never will be. Have a total dislike for the Apple products. Also seeing a lot of FC users are changing to PP on either Mac or a PC.

Also I have ordered the MXM Express USB2 reader for £20. Hoping it just works although a little slow at 40MB/s Max.
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Yes you would need the UDF version for the 50Mb/s material.

UDF works on a PC. If it didn't you wouldn't be able to read the SxS cards, XDCAM discs, BluRay's or DVD's. UDF is the format used for most optical discs including DVD and BluRay. Nothing special about UDF. It was originally designed for sequential writing and as a result isn't as fast for random access writing and reading as FAT, NTFS etc so isn't normally used for hard drives, but you can format hard drives using UDF.
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Yes you would need the UDF version for the 50Mb/s material.

UDF works on a PC. If it didn't you wouldn't be able to read the SxS cards, XDCAM discs, BluRay's or DVD's. UDF is the format used for most optical discs including DVD and BluRay. Nothing special about UDF. It was originally designed for sequential writing and as a result isn't as fast for random access writing and reading as FAT, NTFS etc so isn't normally used for hard drives, but you can format hard drives using UDF.
Ah just read from the NVS2525 UDF:

Limitation
OS compatibility
- Both internal and external hard drives are formatted in UDF format
- External hard drive that is formatted in UDF does not work with Windows OS but works fine with MAC OS. (Earlier firmware version of V1.51)

Nexto DI - Next Generation Storage with Digital Interface

Does the 2501 support reading the UDF cards but writes the data onto the Internal FAT HDD?
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I'm not sure whether you can use the 2501 with 50Mb/s cards. In theory, if the file sizes are less than 4GB then you should be able to write the data to a FAT drive, it would only be with longer takes and shots that create files bigger than 4GB that you would have a problem. The new firmware versions allow you to format the drive using ExFAT which does not have a file size limit. The PMW-500 is listed as being supported by the non UDF 2500 and 2501, but I've never actually tried a UDF card with my 2500. After all you can copy from a UDF SxS card to an NTFS or Mac OS formatted drive, so the destination doesn't have to be UDF. I'll have an F5 in the week so I'll create some UDF files and see what happens.

If you upgrade the NVS2525 Firmware beyond version 1.51 then the UDF drives can be read by Windows without issue. The windows problem only exists with drives formatted with firmware version 1.5 or earlier.
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #24
Major Player

My Nexto2500 (currently on firmware v1.52) gives an error message if I try to copy a UDF format SxS card.
The UDF cards read just fine with the Sony USB2 reader (SBAC-US10) connected to a pc, and also read properly in the expresscard slots of both my pc laptops.
One of my big complaints is the way computer manufacturers (even Sony) seem to have abandoned the expresscard slot. If you can still find one, I'd highly recommend picking up a closeout laptop that still has the slot. (I ended up with an Asus B53S with Expresscard, USB3 and eSATA -- for under 1K -- that transfers a full 32GB SxS1a card to an inexpensive external USB3 drive in under 5 minutes.) When travelling I really don't like having to carry the extra card reader and worry about power and all the extra cables to worry about.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #25
Major Player

Dave funny you should say that about buying a laptop with a EC slot as I've just purchased a Dell Precision M6700! So I'm hoping it will handle 50Mbps footage and read my SXS cards without any problems.

Purchased it from the Dell Outlet store for £1200.

Spec:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3720QM (2.60GHz Turbo, 6MB, Upgradable to Intel® vPro™ technology)
Display : 17.3 Inch UltraSharp FHD(1920x1080) Wide View Anti-Glare LED-backlit Premium Panel Guarantee
16 GB Dual Channel DDR3 1866MHz Memory (2 DIMMs)
Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K3000M with 2 GB GDDR5

Also have a Samsung 120GB SSD and 512GB SSD to put into the machine.
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #26
Major Player

Yes, you should be able to scream through your transfers with that one!
(Make sure to check the Sony docs for the proper order in which you need to install the SxS/UDF drivers.)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #27
Major Player

Well the PMW-200 and Laptop went very well. Needed another day to get used to the PMW-200 as that was my first event filming with it.

If anyone is interested the show goes out on Motors TV UK/France tonight at 22:00
David Dwyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds