Is the PMW-200 Too Much Camera For Me? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 7th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #1
New Boot

Is the PMW-200 Too Much Camera For Me?

We purchased the PMW-200 a couple of weeks ago with the goal of making broadcast quality documentaries for our non-profit organization. However, I am wondering if a camera like the Canon XF100 would be sufficient. Our documentaries usually consist of well-lit interviews. Can you please help me understand why paying an additional $4,000 for the Sony over the Canon is worth it? Thank you so much for your help!
Eric Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Is the PMW-200 Too Much Camera For Me?

Wasn't this a discussion best had before you bought the camera?

But that being said: having three 1/2-inch sensors instead of a single 1/3-in imager, plus HD-SDI outputs/TC and the like make for a much better unit.

It's a good camera. Take it out and enjoy it!
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Inner Circle

What is broadcast quality? If you mean technical specs, someone will point out that while the XF100 records in 422 and 50MBS, the camera itself is not BBC approved. If you intend to produce something that a broadcaster such as Nat GEO, Discovery, PBS or whomever would buy from you, then checking with them is in order. But if all you mean is will it look as good on your HDTV when played from a computer as a TV show, then that is a different matter.

The point of a camera like the PMW-200 is not just the image it produces but in the controls it gives you to be creative and/or get a great image in a challenging situation. For example, two Zebras. If you don't know how to use them and won't learn, then that's something in that $4000 you paid for that isn't used. Ditto colorbars, profiles, .....
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ward View Post
Wasn't this a discussion best had before you bought the camera?
Yes, I painstakingly had these discussions prior to my purchase. And it was such an expensive investment, I'm probably just second guessing myself. But I'm still within my return window, so I'm just making sure I made an informed decision. That's why I appreciate the input!
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

It is a great camera. Unless it puts a finical burden on the organization I would recommend keeping it.

Where are you in NC? I'm in the Durham area and would be happy to help you climb the learning curve if you like.
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #6
New Boot

Chris, thank you for your invitation to help with the PMW-200 learning curve. The camera is not really a financial burden on us, I just want to make sure I made a wise decision. Financially speaking, the PMW-200 is quite a $tep up from the XF100. But I think I’m pretty much sold on the fact that the quality is worth it.
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Major Player

Relax...enjoy the camera. Learn to use it well and you'll never look back!
Bill Ward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds