Wi-Fi Adapter for PMW-200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 11th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #1
Major Player

Wi-Fi Adapter for PMW-200

Hi People, i have received the wifi adapter for the PMW200, but i can seem to find much info on setting it up with a iPhone, i have downloaded xmpilot tool for i phone, is there any one who knows how to set it up, or have any information on setting up the wifi adapter with a iPhone, Or a short youtube video on how to set it up, even better.

Thx.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 05:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Wi-Fi Adapter for PMW-200

Found our some info , look like you can't even have a live preview font the iPhone, hmm why would they sell a wifi adaptor then.

Old January 13th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Live preview only works on XDCAM HD cameras that can generate proxy files internally, so only PDW's and the PMW-500. The WiFi just gives you the ability to control some aspects of the camera and see how much media is remaining. If you want a live video feed you'll need something like a Terradeck.
Old January 13th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks, its just the way the documentation reads, it looks like you can live preview with the use of XMPilot iphone app, using the PMW200. seems misleading ,(Read (2) Live View @!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From there site -
The XMPilot Tool is used to set Planning Metadata and for logging (setting Essence Marks, clip comments, clip status, clip categories) during content filming, in conjunction with a Sony XDCAM camcorder equipped with a Wi-Fi adaptor. It provides a new workflow for news, sport and drama production that uses Planning Metadata.

Functions
1) Automatic Clip File Naming
Automatically names clips, using a combination of the Title specified in Planning Metadata and an automatically incrementing sequential number. The Planning Metadata is received from the assignment desk (newsroom or drama production desk) and sent to the camcorder (using e-mail or web service).
In addition to the file naming function, the recorded clips are listed within the Planning Metadata file on the camcorder. This allows the ingest software to automatically handle their destination.
2) Live View
Displays the currently recording video, read as proxy, from the camcorder. This is useful for viewing the image when the camcorder’s viewfinder is inaccessible, checking image framing, showing to interviewees, and other tasks.

Old January 14th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

That's because XMPilot works with multiple cameras. As it says it reads proxies from the camera, but the PMW-200 doesn't have proxies so that can't be done.
Old January 14th, 2013, 05:43 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi, thanks for the info, I just find it sad that you cannot use the wifi adaptor,to preview on a iphone or iPad. The Nikon and canon DSLR with a wifi adaptor can do it, so you think a wifi adaptor for a pro video camera would do it, just disappointed.

Old February 7th, 2013, 05:27 AM   #7
Major Player

So Alister or anyone else can anyone help, cant get this to work, all i want is the option to preview the video on iphone, and start stop. Was watching this web show and they say you can do it, but cant seem to find any info on it - watch @ (43.00mins)
Show link here - BroadcastShow Live # 9 22nd January 2013 - YouTube

Old February 7th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bale View Post
So Alister or anyone else can anyone help, cant get this to work, all i want is the option to preview the video on iphone, and start stop. Was watching this web show and they say you can do it, but cant seem to find any info on it - watch @ (43.00mins)
Show link here - BroadcastShow Live # 9 22nd January 2013 - YouTube
What they say in the video is you can control the camera via the wifi and you can insert metadata as the clips are being generated. There is no mention of live viewing of the cameras output via wifi.

The same limitation is there for the F3. No live view of video via wifi.
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #9
Major Player

Meanwhile it's interesting to see how well the wi-fi functionality works on my tiny HDR-AS15 ActionCam. When it works it's absolutely brilliant -- but at times it can experience slowdowns and connection problems. I don't know whether the occasional problems are from an issue with my S3, or inherent in the system. For a consumer product with a low price tag I'm amazed; but if I were trying to rely on its wi-fi for high level 100% professional reliability I would probably be disappointed. So while I wish my PMW200 had full wi-fi viewing options, I'm perhaps happier that the technology isn't implemented until it's 100% professional rock solid.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #10
Major Player

Gee, go pro can do it, Nikon can , and Canon, whats up sony !!!!!!!!

Old February 8th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #11
Major Player

I was talking about the Sony ActionCam wifi - not the GoPro
AFAIK from reviews and friends who have it, the GoPro wifi still exhibits a significant delay and does NOT allow you to see video while it is recording.
While the WiFi on the Sony HDR-AS15 isn't perfect, it does at least allow you to not only start/stop recording, change lens width and steadyshot setiings, but also allows you to monitor your shots while recording - and does well enough to actually use the phone as a viewfinder.
This is really the wrong forum for this, but here's a link to a Sony ActionCam shoot I output as part of a pov camera demonstration:

OSU Band withTitles - YouTube
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bale View Post
Gee, go pro can do it, Nikon can , and Canon, whats up sony !!!!!!!!
If you absolutely need that feature it can be done with 3rd party hardware.
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #13
Inner Circle

You can use this for the video feed and the wifi dongle for camera control:

Teradek Cube | Teradek, LLC | Wireless HD Video
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Either the Teradek or the Paralinx WHDI HDMI transmitter. Actually, the Paralinx may be cheaper.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds