how to deal with insurance company... any advice? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 14th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: how to deal with insurance company... any advice?

I'd recommend working the Sony repair rep a little more, and get a detailed "worst case" cost analysis for replacing all the potentially damaged components.

The goal you're shooting for is to have the Sony guy note that the cost of fully restoring the unit likely exceeds the original value of the camera...in insurance parlance: a "total."
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Does your insurance cover full replacement value or depreciated value? If the latter, the repairs certainly are more than the depreciated value of the camera, which can be bought on the used market for a bit over $2000 (camera only). Down side is that with the $1000 deductible, you'd get $1000 - 1500 for your camera,.which despite functioning like brand new, was in fact heavily depreciated.
Old January 14th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Shaun et al,

Just took a closer look at my policy, and it says: "30,000 - Replacement Cost".

Sounds good to me. But I just got an email from the adjustor saying: "Your policy owes for repair or replacement whichever is less"

Bill—I will take your advice, and phone the Sony guy first thing tomorrow to see what he says about this.

Regards,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #19
Major Player

Just need the Sony guy to be on your side and calculate the repair costs to be more than replacement .. ie a right off.. they may demand a second opinion .. but its not huge amounts.. so hopefully not..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #20
Major Player

I'm afffraid you'll loose money anyway. Problably the insurance company will only pay the value of the camera to date. As the EX1 is at least a few years old that will be less than what it will cost to repair the camera. I guess you must be happy to receive $2000....
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #21
Major Player

Quick post to report a happy ending to this affair. After the guy in charge at Sony Service told me (and more importantly, then told the insurance adjustor) that the front-end repair (whole new lens unit) was, potentially, just the start of things... that they wouldn't know until they attached a new lens whether more parts and pieces (read 'sensors', etc.) might also need to be replaced or fixed... my insurance adjustor decided that replacing the camera was the better option for all concerned. I'm getting a PMW-200 first thing next week.
I mention this as a way of ending this thread, on a happy note (for me at least), and as a way of giving a big thankyou to State Farm Insurance for doing the right thing for someone whose livelihood depends on a trustworthy camera... also, forum-members will now understand if I post the odd question about the PMW-200!
Thanks again to all of you who advised me re all of this.
Regards, Malcolm
Old January 18th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Excellent news! Enjoy your new camera.
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Wow! Great result. Be interested to hear your thoughts on going from EX1 to PMW200 (ergonomics quality etc). From the posts I've read, its awesome.
Phill Pendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Congrats, Malcolm! My faith in humanity is somewhat restored... for now... <sly wink>

Can't say I'm not a bit jealous of your new "baby"...
Old January 19th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Quick post to report a happy ending to this affair. After the guy in charge at Sony Service told me (and more importantly, then told the insurance adjustor) that the front-end repair (whole new lens unit) was, potentially, just the start of things... that they wouldn't know until they attached a new lens whether more parts and pieces (read 'sensors', etc.) might also need to be replaced or fixed... my insurance adjustor decided that replacing the camera was the better option for all concerned. I'm getting a PMW-200 first thing next week.
I mention this as a way of ending this thread, on a happy note (for me at least), and as a way of giving a big thankyou to State Farm Insurance for doing the right thing for someone whose livelihood depends on a trustworthy camera... also, forum-members will now understand if I post the odd question about the PMW-200!
Thanks again to all of you who advised me re all of this.
Regards, Malcolm
Glad that worked out.. yeah sounds like you have a decent agent.. stick with him.. !!
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #26
Major Player

I suspect I'm going to miss the rotating grip I had on my EX1, but I'm sure there'll be plenty to like about the PMW-200. It's a great line of cameras—from the EX1, EX1-R, EX3 and now the 200, no doubt about it. I will be adding a thread or two about the 200 in the next week, I'm sure.
Once again, thanks for your support!
Malcolm
Old January 20th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #27
Vortex Media

Personally, I don't miss the rotating grip. The PMW-200 is better ergonomically designed and doesn't need it. The camera simply feels better balanced and easier to shoot with than the EX1R. But that's just my opinion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds