DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Ex3 cine gamma help pls (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/513824-ex3-cine-gamma-help-pls.html)

Stuart Wilson January 28th, 2013 07:22 AM

Ex3 cine gamma help pls

Hi Guys,

I remember reading a while back one of the cinegammas in the EX3 stops the whites from overexposing. Does anyone know which one it is please.

cheers

Stuart

Chris Medico January 28th, 2013 08:30 AM

Re: Ex3 cine gamma help pls

Alister Chapman has a good writeup on his website. I'm suggesting that you read this first to have a good foundation of what the settings do.

XDCAM EX Cinegammas |

Give that a read and see if it helps. If you have a specific question that it doesn't cover come back and post it up. It will be helpful to give more information about what you are trying to shoot.

Stuart Wilson January 28th, 2013 09:54 AM

Hi,

I shoot Rugby Leage in either daylight or floodlit scenes. I did have one of the cinegammas set into my EX3 but hit the reset and lost the profile I had set up.

The problem is the white shirts seem 'blown out' if that makes sense. I'm sure it was one of the cinegamma settings that stopped this happening. Any help or advice most appreciated.

Cheers

Stuart

Chris Medico January 28th, 2013 11:04 AM

Give CINE1 a try.

For sure don't use CINE2.

Stuart Wilson January 31st, 2013 07:26 AM

Hi Chris

you know what, I've a sneaky feeling I did use cine2. Is there a reason why I shouldnt use this one. I dont understand gammas, knees etc, I know I should, but I just film the games. I just need the white shirts not to look 'blown out' if that makes sense. Any more help or advice most welcome.

Stuart

Alister Chapman January 31st, 2013 08:25 AM

Cinegammas are not a magic cure for over exposure. They can help increase dynamic range, which helps a little with difficult lighting situations, but, if something is too bright for the camera to cope with then it's too bright for the camera to cope with.

Cinegamma 1 is a good all round gamma that records to 109%, Cine2 is the same as Cinegamma 1 but only recording to broadcast safe 100%. If you are at all unsure of how your post production workflow deals with superwhites then you should use Cinegamma 2.

Steve Siegel February 1st, 2013 07:32 PM

I've been shooting in cinegamma2 specifically because it will crush the highlights down to IRE 100. The setting still doesn't control backlighting very well, where the subject is in shade (like under a tree) and
a white sky behind peeks through and is hugely overexposed. Edges of branches against the sky turn blue. Any best gamma to control that?

Alister Chapman February 4th, 2013 10:39 AM

A reflector?

The blue edges you are getting are possible nothing to do with the gamma curve but simply chromic aberrations in the lens where you have an extremely high contrast edge and some of the bright light bleeds into the dark branch creating a blue halo. A lot of cameras do this.

There is only so much any gamma curve can do. If you exceed the dynamic range of the camera then you will get less than perfect images.

Stuart Wilson February 4th, 2013 11:06 AM

Hi Alister

tried gamma2 yesterday and the results are spot on. Thanks for the advice.

stuart

Dave Sperling February 4th, 2013 07:23 PM

one other menu item that might be worth looking at -- in your gamma menus there is also a setting for 'level' - which has an effect on the gamma curve. raising the level setting with one of the cinegammas seems to bring the highlights down slightly further. I'll often select a gamma based on the general look I want, then tweak the highlights a bit with the level setting.

Steve Siegel February 5th, 2013 09:24 PM

Alister,

Thanks for the reply. I figured it out. The blue color is, indeed, refraction. I'm practicing for a rain forest shoot later in the year where the subject is in abject shadow but the bright sky is visible in all the holes in the forest cover all around. Not even the human eye can accomodate that dynamic range, but cinegamma 4 seems to suit if you leave the gain at 0.