EX1R to laptop via HDMI? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 16th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Major Player

EX1R to laptop via HDMI?

Is it possible to record 10 bit 4:2:2 video to a laptop via an HDMI cable? what would the minimum laptop parameters be?

thank you!
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: EX1R to laptop via HDMI?

Take a look here: Blackmagic Design: Intensity Models

There are many models available (from several manufacturers) that scale in price according to your needs. You'll need a modern laptop with a thunderbolt, USB 3, or some sort of PCI connection as well as a capture scratch disk (internal or external) that can keep up with the bandwidth. That would probably be a SSD or thunderbolt / USB 3 external RAID.
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Major Player

I'd probably do just as well with a nanoflash?
Old March 16th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Trustee

In terms of effort.... Maybe yes.

I really like the hyperdeck shuttle. Cheap and easy if you're ok with ProRes and can be plugged into power. Here's some interesting reading, by the way, dealing with the necessity of 8-bit vs 10-bit. I believe that not all NanoFlash recorders are the full 10-bit, but it may not matter...

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...bit-10bit.html
Old March 16th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Major Player

So they're saying that the quality gain from 10 bit over 8 bit isn't likely to be noticed because of the EX1r's "noisiness"?

But the quality gained from recording at 50 Mbps as opposed to 35 Mbps is worth it, yes?
Old March 16th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Trustee

I think so, yes. You're getting 4:2:2 color as well.
Old March 16th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The BM Shuttle 2 will send from the HD-SDI in to HDMI out and record from HD-SDI out from the EX1, so your get the best of both worlds with one.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #8
Trustee

Shuttle 2 is fantastic, unless storage space of 220mbps is an issue.. About 1GB/min...
Old March 16th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Major Player

I didn't realize the nanoflash was now $2k!
Old March 16th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #10
Trustee

It's really not that bad. $350 for the Hyperdeck and about $100 per 128GB SSD that last about 90 minutes each. The issue is how to power it if you're away from AC. Also, remember you kinda need to use SDI to have proper start stop control from the camera. HDMI usually doesn't carry that information to start the recorder when you hit the red button on your camera.
Old March 17th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #11
Major Player

As for NanoFlash:
Yes, NanoFlash is 8 bit.
But...
As mentioned before, when coming from an EX1/1R/3 that tends not to be a drawback.
Nicest thing about the NanoFlash is its size, low power consumption and convenience.
I use it for Green Screen and Blue Screen shoots all the time, normally recording at 100Mbps 422.
My clients particularly like the fact that they aren't dealing with as much data as prores would create.
It's also served as a 'swiss army knife' recorder on set, sometimes acting as an HD-SDI to HDMI converter, or as a 'video assist playback' unit for clients.
Very versatile, always glad to have brought it in kit...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bobson View Post
So they're saying that the quality gain from 10 bit over 8 bit isn't likely to be noticed because of the EX1r's "noisiness"?

But the quality gained from recording at 50 Mbps as opposed to 35 Mbps is worth it, yes?
Answer is probably "yes" to both of those. Regarding the second question, then whether or not it's worth it depends who you're filming for - 35Mbs is pretty good, easily good enough for many applications, but yes, 50Mbs is better. As regards the first point, you may be interested in the discussion in this thread - http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...ml#post1784630 - regarding 8 v 10 bit. 10 bit working can have advantages - but it's quite true that the noise levels of even a 1/2" chipped camera like the EX1 (let alone 1/3" cameras) mean there is a lot less advantage than many people think.

In particular, banding when the footage gets manipulated in post normally gets blamed on insufficient bitdepth. I suspect it's often compression issues, but it's far less intuitive to see why. I can only repeat what I said in that other thread if you're in doubt, a practical exercise to try which only takes a minute of two:
Quote:
I think most people can intuitively see why bitdepth may give rise to banding, but why compression should do it is probably not as obvious. If anyone wants proof, (and doesn't like theory! :-) ) then there's a very quick test you can do in Photoshop in less than 5 minutes. Make a new (blank) canvas, then select a narrow vertical strip on the left hand side and fill it with black. Select the gradient tool, and draw a line from the black area to the (white) right hand side of the canvas - the image should be a nice smooth black-white gradient left to right. Now try saving it as a JPEG - firstly with low compression, then with the highest level (quality=0).

Anybody still unconvinced that banding may be caused by over compression alone!? :-)
If you want the (very basic) reason why, then I've tried to explain why in the simplest systems why it should be so in post #4 of that thread. But hopefully anyone who tries that Photoshop exercise will no longer automatically blame any banding they see on 8 bit working......!

All the theory apart, then if you do decide better than the 35Mbs of the EX1 is needed, then I can't help wondering if trading it in against a PMW200 may be a better move than getting an external recorder.....?
David Heath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds