Alphatron TVLogic EVF-035w for EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 20th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Alphatron TVLogic EVF-035w for EX3

Does anyone have any experience upgrading the EX1 or EX3 evf to something better ?

I have an EX3 - the EVF is pretty good (1920x480) but I'd like something a bit better. The VLogic EVF-035w (960x540) seems the obvious answer but I'm not sure it will be a significant enough improvement to warrant the expense and the getting over the problem of removing the EX3 viewfinder.
Stephen de Vere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 06:33 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Alphatron TVLogic EVF-035w for EX3

Removed my post.

My mistake. I responded thinking you were asking about the F3 instead of the EX3. Dumb mistake!!
I agree with Dave. You won't be able to improve on the EX3's viewfinder, plus you don't have any extra cables or batteries to bother with.

Now where are my glasses . . . .
Old March 20th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #3
Major Player

My suggestion is: Don't bother!
From an operating perspective I'd stay with the EX3 viewfinder.
I have a Zacuto Z-Finder EVF for my F3, and often shoot with an FS700/ Alphatron combination.
I'm not crazy about the diopter focus adjustment on the Alphatron, The image is fine, but in my view not particularly better than the built-in EX3 finder The fact that the EX3 viewfinder is not removable might be problematic - particularly to have ease of access to camera menus and what the EX3 viewfinder provides natively. If you're looking for an additional viewfinder (to be mounted in a different spot), then the Alphatron is fine, though I'd say to also look at other options (I don't remember if SmallHD takes HD-SDI?).
I also have an issue with EVF lag - though this seems to be more an issue related to the FS700.

Hi Doug, time for that morning coffee! (OP was about EX3, not F3)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, very useful info.
Sounds like it's more suited to modular design cameras like F5, F55 etc
The very recent update of firmware and optics sounds very good though - waveform monitor and vectorscope now included. (c/o Alister Chapman xdcam-user.com)
Stephen de Vere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Trustee

The hoodman EX-1 EVF adapter is very cheap, simple and works great IMHO. Just slips a loupe over the flip out screen and then you preserve zebras and red peaking. Eyepeice focuses and is plenty sharp enough.
I wish it was that easy on my F3 but the hinge on the door of the flip out screen is much weaker on the F3. So instead I had to spend $1400 for an Alphatron. The hoodman is pretty near as good for bubkas.

I forget what its called but you'll find it on the Hoodman site. (I gave them the idea for it I'm proud to say.)
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Leonard,
Do you think the Hoodman loupe setup on the EX3 is better than the supplied Sony loupe ? I wouldn't mind a better/shorter loupe - the Sony one is too long at times.
I guess you're talking, for the EX1 flip out screen only.
Stephen de Vere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds