DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Century Optics .6 Wide Angle Adapter on PMW-200 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/515197-century-optics-6-wide-angle-adapter-pmw-200-a.html)

Ashley Gasper March 20th, 2013 06:48 PM

Century Optics .6 Wide Angle Adapter on PMW-200

Used Century Optics .6 lens on my EX1R without fault, With the PMW 200 there is a problem with focus on occasion. Yes the camera is set to macro, and I am on the current firmware. I use autofocus mostly. Anyone else have problems with this lens? Anyone using similar lenses on this camera?

thanks...

Jack Zhang March 20th, 2013 11:18 PM

Re: Century Optics .6 Wide Angle Adapter on PMW-200

Is the Wide Conversion option in the menu system turned on? If it isn't, that's the problem.

If that's not the problem, I'm thinking it is because the Macro switch is on. AF + Macro switch don't mix. I've experienced this with the EX1R and it should be the same on the 200.

Ashley Gasper March 21st, 2013 10:53 AM

Yes, wide angle is on in the menu, This lens requires use of macro and AF, manual focus does not work with this lens. I've used it on the EX1R for about 5 years.

thx

Alister Chapman March 23rd, 2013 12:17 PM

Jack, the lens is not zoom through and relies on the use of Macro to bring it in to focus.
Ashley, manual focus is the best way to use the lens, but then you can't change focal length as this shifts the focus. Auto focus is suggested as autofocus can to some degree help shift focus as you zoom, but it's basically a fudge to try to make the lens do something that it can't really do.

Mark Lawrence April 4th, 2013 09:56 AM

On a slightly different subject but staying with the PMW-200.. Does anyone know if Sony will release a version of this but with interchangeable lenses? That really was the ONLY reason for not choosing this camera.

Against the Canon XF-305 for image quality I rate the PMW-200 as the winner, especially comparing in low light.

Doug Jensen April 4th, 2013 11:04 AM

Well, you could always get an EX3. You'll give up 50Mbps 422, but you gain a removable lens, a more ergonomic desgin, and a much better viewfinder.

Chris Medico April 4th, 2013 11:37 AM

Can you get your hands on the Sony wide angle adapter? Its not as wide but it is zoom through.

Derek Reich April 5th, 2013 09:24 AM

The Century Optics .6 (and Fisheye) ARE partial zoom through lenses. I don't think they were designed that way, but you can zoom about 25-30% of the way through the lens before you lose focus. I've used both extensively on an EX3 and never had any issues whatsoever. In fact, I have loved having that little bit of zoom available for a quick change in framing. Using these types of adapters, you do have to have the macro on, and the auto focus ON initially (so the camera can macro focus) then you can take the auto focus OFF. No need to keep it in auto as DOF is pretty much a few inches to infinity. The only time I've had to adjust focus (which you can do manually once you follow the first steps above) is when something is literally less than 5 or 6 inches from the lens. These adapters are super lightweight (compared to the full zoom throughs) and easily fit in a pocket. I recently bought a dedicated wide lens for my EX, so I no longer use these, and am reluctantly going to part with them. (I have a .6 w/shade and Fisheye in perfect condition if anyone's interested)

Chris Medico April 5th, 2013 09:38 AM

Unfortunately the Century Optics are not zoom through (their website indicates this as well). You can get around it some by using autofocus and macro settings as noted but it is not the same as using the WA adapter the firmware in the camera is programmed to use.

If you need to zoom while using a WA adapter the Sony adapter is the only choice for complete compatibility.

Buba Kastorski April 23rd, 2013 10:42 AM

or better yet Zunow, Century Optics has too much barrel and CA, but that's all subjective of course.