DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX3 Parts + lens adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/515318-ex3-parts-lens-adapter.html)

Des Carolan March 26th, 2013 07:44 AM

EX3 Parts + lens adapter

Hello all, I recently bought a ex3 and love the form factor coming from a shoulder mount. need to sort out a couple of things with it though and was hoping somebody on here may have an old/ broken stock lens i could buy for parts. i need the zoom rocker switch on the servo unit and also the hinge on the viewfinder is broken is this available as a separate part? thanks for looking - des

also i didnt get the lens adapter to use 1/2 inch lens. i have a 1/2 inch b4 lens on my pdw f330. does any body have a spare lens adapter??

Robert Bale March 27th, 2013 06:47 AM

Re: EX3 Parts + lens adapter

Hi, LCD hinge parts are available , just contact your Sony dealer, or service agent.

Des Carolan March 27th, 2013 08:25 AM

Thanks a million for that Robert

Derek Reich March 29th, 2013 07:09 PM

Des, be aware that (afik) only Fujinon 1/2" broadcast lenses have the electrical contacts to work normally with the supplied 1/2" adapter which comes with the EX3. For some reason Canon lenses do not have the necessary contacts, so if you want things like servo zoom, auto iris and record start/stop from the lens trigger, you'll be out of luck with the Sony adapter. Canon does make a 1/2" adapter with contacts (actually a little port to plug your lens cable into) for full fuctionality.... for a price. A hefty $1800USD. All is not lost, though. You can still mount a Canon 1/2" lens (if that's what you have) to the supplied Sony adapter, and have a couple of adapter cables made to supply power and lens function. I've successfully supplied power to a Canon 1/2" lens with an adapter cable made by JonyJib, (to a hirose power tap on my aftermarket battery mount) which gives me servo zoom, and I'm looking into getting a cable made to go from the remote plug on my lens to the remote on my camera which (in theory) should provide record start/stop on the lens trigger. Definitely worth an try to save the cost of the adapter!

Des Carolan March 30th, 2013 04:43 AM

Thanks Derek lots of info there, the half inch lens i have is the fujinon stock lens for the f330 with the electrical contacts. I was however looking into what it would involve to power the zoom servo on my 2/3 inch broadcast lens so the jony jib cable is a great help thanks again for sharing.
I managed to fix the zoom servo by raiding an old 1/3 fuji lens and stripping out the rocker switch. Odd to think that an ancient dvcpro 4:3 kit can keep newer gear going.
Ive been looking around for a parts diagram for the viewfinder to get a part number for the hinge as i dont know of any service center in ireland.

Derek Reich March 30th, 2013 07:24 AM

The Jony Jib cables are excellent, and they're great people to work with. You do need some sort of external power source though.... I have the Bebob V mount adapter which has more than enough hirose and Dtaps available. You're lucky the lens you have is Fuji.... I have picked up a Canon that I really like on my EX, but am disappointed that the Canon glass lacks the contacts to work properly. If you're willing to spend the money, there are smart adapters out there to make your 2/3" lens work the same as your 1/2" Fuji... Fuji makes one, as does MTF services, and perhaps Adaptimax as well. Did you find a Sony 1/2" lens adapter for your EX?
Here is a link to a service manual http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...s-diagram.html (I couldn't get the link to download the file, but Chris attached the pdf file to the bottom of the thread so you can get it there)
cheers

Derek Reich March 30th, 2013 09:49 AM

Des,
It appears that I may not be able to make a record start/stop cable work with the remote on my camera, so if I need to buy that overpriced Canon adapter, I might be willing to sell my Fuji 1/2" adapter (I have no Fuji lenses) if you're interested-

Vincent Oliver March 31st, 2013 01:57 AM

Des, I have a broken stock lens which you could have for £50 + p&p (I had to buy a new one so I am £1200 out of pocket, hence the small asking sum). The lens is in two parts but the rocker switch section is in tact. See thread below.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...3-useless.html

Des Carolan March 31st, 2013 09:57 AM

Hi Derek thanks again for the great info, hopefully you will be able to get the rec stop/start sorted if not then i may well be interested in the fuji adaptor. beware when buying 1/2 inch glass that the sony mount and jvc mount are different.

Hi Vincent i was gutted to hear about how you have a spare lens, i once snapped a 38x eng lens in half when the vinten mk5 head it was on let go (incorrectly serviced by company that owned it but that is another story) and also melted a very nice canon trying to dry it out (completely my fault) but i managed to frankenstein the rocker switch off an old lens into the ex3 i will see how it performs in the heat of battle!

many thanks