Street and Harbour Hong Kong at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 27th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Street and Harbour Hong Kong

Footage shot with EX1 on a dirty old day in Hong Kong.

Chris Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Street and Harbour Hong Kong

Thanks for sharing that. Even when the sun is out, that bay is very smoggy. I love shooting in HK, it's so photogenic. People doing thai-chi in the parks, etc. One weekend I rented an English-speaking taxi driver to drive me around to as many places on my hit list as he could manage. Cost me $200/day and I got tons of footage from all over. Never got the shot of the entrance to Lion Rock Tunnel though, due to the field I needed to cross had a sign posted, "Warning, archery range in use" Don't see that every day. Last time I was there, I got some candid street activity by renting a love hotel for a few hours, removing the bars from the windows and running two cameras. Those rooms are great for $12; bed, shower, tv and the AC is great since the room is like 8x10. Just make sure the window is facing the street and there's plenty of electical outlets. Found out they don't like you to video on the train platforms, but since I didn't understand the Chinese warnings they were giving over the PA system, I got my fill of shots before the 90 year old security guy came after me. Yeah, HK is great, hope to get back there soon.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for sharing this. I really enjoyed it. I love to travel and shoot, but am always nervous about carrying my EX1r overseas. I've always just taken a smaller consumer cam.

I've never thought about using a "love hotel" as Mark suggested, but that's a great idea. (Any really cheap hotel will do.) I don't have to spend the night there, just use it for shooting as long as I get a room with the best view of the street.
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Mark and Phil for your comments. The locations in the video are close to where I live. I agree that Hong Kong is a very photogenic. The light in has a very diffuse quality, largely caused by the pollution I suspect but it can give video footage quite a filmic look.
Chris Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #5
Major Player

Chris,

Lucky man, so many opportunites at your doorstep. On one visit in 2010, I had model release forms (in two kinds of Chinese) and was trying to explain to an elderly couple how I was gonna shoot video of them as they did their thai-chi out there in Victoria Park. They were afraid it was some kind of ID theft scam and wouldn't sign. Nobody would. If I make it there this year, I was thinking of finding a few 'down on their luck' types and offer $25-50 if they'd just go out and do some graceful stretching. I don't know, sounds kind of creepy when I put it like that. Just trying to break into shooting people and dealing with the model releases...

Phil, I like to make use of parking garages too. But if you happen to try one of those "hourly rate" hotels, just remember to have a couple screwdrivers since they all seem to have them little bars on the inside. (and maybe bring some noise-cancelling headphones too)
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds