PMW-200 "Safety Marker" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 26th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Major Player

PMW-200 "Safety Marker"

I'm sure I've just missed the instruction, but can anyone tell me how to 'hide' the 'Displayed' items on the LCD Screen, but retain the 'Safety Marker'? I have tried numerous combinations of 'on/off' configurations in the 'Menu', but 'NO-JOY'.

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: PMW-200 "Safety Marker"

Well,...after reviewing the 'Owner's Manual' and Doug Jensen's "XDCAM HD422" DVD, it appears you cannot have the the "Safety Markers" show on the LCD without disabling the other information on the LCD like "Format", "Time-Code", "Shutter", "F-Stop", etc., as well. No matter which "On/Off" I enable, I'm not able to have the "Safety Marker" show on the LCD without all of the other information. Or, probably better put, in-order to enable the "Safety Marker" only, I would need to 'disable' the other 'on-screen' information.

Seems like an oversight on the part of Sony, but maybe 'pro's' don't use the "Safety Marker"?

There is a method of using the "Aspect Marker" in "Mask" mode that allows you choose the "Aspect", e.g., 4:3, 14:9, 15:9 etc. By adjusting "Aspect Marker" opacity (it can be adjusted from 0% - 100% opacity). You can 'see' through the 'mask'. The higher the %, the less opaque it is. I suppose you could use 'masking' as a visual cue 'Safety Zone' .

Best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: PMW-200 "Safety Marker"

"Personal Log, final entry." : )

I have used and like the 'Display' feature in the "LCD/VF Set" menu. I use the "4:3 Aspect Ratio Marker 'Mask' at 60% Opacity" as a 'safety area' for shooting. In my previous entry I mentioned, when you push the "Display Button" to disable the 'LCD/VF Set' screen information, you lose 'all' the on-screen information including the 'Mask' feature. If you want the 'Mask' to remain, you are forced to disable (select "Off") the other 'Display' information to have a 'clean' LED screen. I suppose as long as you're confident you've correctly set your camera, it would be okay to disable the other 'Display' items. As an alternative, you can verify the current camera 'settings' at any time by pushing the "Status Button" under the flip-out, LCD-screen. I find myself using the 'Status Button' more and more. My LED Screen is still too cluttered for my taste, however, it's all information I need to feel confident I'm correctly set-up.

Maybe, with more experience I won't 'need' to rely on the LCD 'screen information' as a 'crutch', but right now, it's definitely required.

I wish there was a way to 'enable' the 'Mask' ('Assignable Button'??) feature without having to clutter my LCD with the other information. Oh well, I do have the 'work-around'.

Thanks for playing along.

J.

Last edited by James Kuhn; June 26th, 2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Deleted "Marker" replaced with "Display".
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds