DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   PMW-200 power supply for LED light? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/516827-pmw-200-power-supply-led-light.html)

Heiko Saele May 26th, 2013 10:00 PM

PMW-200 power supply for LED light?

Does the PMW-200 have a power socket to connect an LED light to?

I didn't have much time to look at the camera yet and didn't see anything - is there really no power socket? That would be a bummer because I was pretty much counting on it, and if it didn't I'd have to use eneloop AAs in the Z96 light on top, which makes it all a lot heavier...

Jack Zhang May 26th, 2013 10:45 PM

Re: PMW-200 power supply for LED light?

You will need a battery that is compatible with the 200 that has a D-tap. These include the newest SWIT BP-U batteries and the Switronix 96wh battery.

Heiko Saele May 26th, 2013 11:46 PM

Oh my, I already suspected that... I had asked the vendor to give me a fitting power supply cable with the 200 and the Z96, and he sent me a D-Tap cable with it, but he didn't mention I'd need other batteries than the Sony.

Okay, maybe I can still change the two extra Sony batteries that I bought for two of the Swit. Thank you!

James Kuhn May 27th, 2013 09:44 AM

Heiko...this may be a stupid question, but do you have a method to attach the ancillary battery?

Heiko Saele May 27th, 2013 02:26 PM

There is only three ways to power the Z96 light: with batteries in the LED light (AAs or AA rechargeables), some kind of Sony battery attached to the back of the light, or with a power cable delivering 5.8V-16.8V.

AA rechargeables work fine with the Z96 (at least Sanyo eneloops do) but they make the light a lot heavier, so I want to connect it to the camera with a power cable. Bigger cameras like the PMW-350K have a special D-Tap connector for that purpose, but the PMW-200 doesn't.

But, there are SWIT batteries for the PMW-200 to replace the original Sony batteries, and those SWIT have a D-Tap connector on the back of the battery pack to connect the LED light to.

So there is no additional battery, you only need the one SWIT battery to power the camera and connect the light to (which is the whole point of it - no additional weight!)

Glen Vandermolen June 5th, 2013 07:12 AM

Thanks for this info!
An onboard battery that you can tap for 12v power. I didn't know this battery existed.

Series 7 Battery, The only Professional DV Battery System

It makes the PMW200 all the more attractive.

Jack Zhang June 5th, 2013 04:42 PM

The latest Switronix Variant (the EX-L96UD) is compatible with the 200 (actually tested this at a local camera shop after I got the battery, it works)

All other variants other than the latest SWIT ones seem to not be compatible at the moment.