PMW-200 power supply for LED light? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 26th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Major Player

PMW-200 power supply for LED light?

Does the PMW-200 have a power socket to connect an LED light to?

I didn't have much time to look at the camera yet and didn't see anything - is there really no power socket? That would be a bummer because I was pretty much counting on it, and if it didn't I'd have to use eneloop AAs in the Z96 light on top, which makes it all a lot heavier...
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: PMW-200 power supply for LED light?

You will need a battery that is compatible with the 200 that has a D-tap. These include the newest SWIT BP-U batteries and the Switronix 96wh battery.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Oh my, I already suspected that... I had asked the vendor to give me a fitting power supply cable with the 200 and the Z96, and he sent me a D-Tap cable with it, but he didn't mention I'd need other batteries than the Sony.

Okay, maybe I can still change the two extra Sony batteries that I bought for two of the Swit. Thank you!
Old May 27th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Heiko...this may be a stupid question, but do you have a method to attach the ancillary battery?
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Major Player

There is only three ways to power the Z96 light: with batteries in the LED light (AAs or AA rechargeables), some kind of Sony battery attached to the back of the light, or with a power cable delivering 5.8V-16.8V.

AA rechargeables work fine with the Z96 (at least Sanyo eneloops do) but they make the light a lot heavier, so I want to connect it to the camera with a power cable. Bigger cameras like the PMW-350K have a special D-Tap connector for that purpose, but the PMW-200 doesn't.

But, there are SWIT batteries for the PMW-200 to replace the original Sony batteries, and those SWIT have a D-Tap connector on the back of the battery pack to connect the LED light to.

So there is no additional battery, you only need the one SWIT battery to power the camera and connect the light to (which is the whole point of it - no additional weight!)
Old June 5th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Space Hipster

Thanks for this info!
An onboard battery that you can tap for 12v power. I didn't know this battery existed.

Series 7 Battery, The only Professional DV Battery System

It makes the PMW200 all the more attractive.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The latest Switronix Variant (the EX-L96UD) is compatible with the 200 (actually tested this at a local camera shop after I got the battery, it works)

All other variants other than the latest SWIT ones seem to not be compatible at the moment.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds