Kensington adapter works with sandisk 128gB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 31st, 2013, 06:08 AM   #1
Major Player

Kensington adapter works with sandisk 128gB

Hi
Bought some sonnet card adapters to be able to use the Sandisk 128 gB SD cards (45mbs). Just tried the SD cards in my older kensington adapter and there is no problem ! 431 min. recording time !!!
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Kensington adapter works with sandisk 128gB

431 eggs in one flimsy basket! Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Good luck with that.
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I use Sandisk 64 gigs in MXR EXTREME adapters. I use sandisk only and I'm afraid to go over 64gigs.
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 02:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Until I experience a problem or lost footage, I have no problem using a technology :) Naturally I considered it when the Compact Cassete got 120 min recording time or when hardisks got from 4 to 12 gB or today when I still think there must be a limit when they make 4 tB hardisks instead of 3 tB. There are a lot of good things using an adapter with SD cards - like if I am on a job with my notebook and the SD card goes directly into a slot. SD cards are used in my GH3, my AG-HMR10, D800 - and maybe soon in my P2 equipment - so it is a standard - for the time being :)
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I doubt you will stop using technology because of lost footage. I have had corrupt footage on the stock Sony cards in My EX1R.

I notice you chose Sandisk just as I did. And that's only because i believe all technology is not created equal even if it serves the same purpose.

I think your comparisons to cassette tape and hard drives are a moot point. Totally different applications.

But I applaud your willingness to embrace the technology. I shoot a lot of very long form work so I need larger cards.

But there is a limit to how much egg I want on my face should i have a failure. And 64 gig while high anyway, is my current limit.

I have 6 32 gig Sandisk Efilms MXR combos and 2 64 gig combos. And also a Sony 16 gig SXS that gets used the least. The only failure i have ever had was on the Sony and it was a small corrupt file on a shoot that I was able to just do a retake. I still trust the Sony the most for some unknown reason.

I shoot a lot of conference video , that's roughly 6 to 7 hours a day across several cameras. I shoot during the day and offload at night. I no longer have to offload in the middle of a shoot.

While I have some other brands such as Transcend and Patriot in my personal dslr, I only use the Sandisk Efilm MXR combo for paid work.
Attached Thumbnails
Kensington adapter works with sandisk 128gB-sandisk-64.jpg  
Old June 1st, 2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Vortex Media

If there ever was a reasonable argument for using SD cards with XDCAM camcorders, it lost all validity when XQD cards were introduced. If SxS cards are too expensive for someone, then XQD by far the next best alternative.
Old June 1st, 2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Ever since I split an SD-card in half while trying to pry it out of my GoPro camera, I consider these cards as suitable only for pure amateur use. This conviction is supported by the fact that none of my pro DSLR cameras use SD as their main recording device. Compact Flash and SxS are developed and made to withstand a professional environment, SD-cards are not.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 03:21 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
Ever since I split an SD-card in half while trying to pry it out of my GoPro camera, I consider these cards as suitable only for pure amateur use. This conviction is supported by the fact that none of my pro DSLR cameras use SD as their main recording device. Compact Flash and SxS are developed and made to withstand a professional environment, SD-cards are not.
How do you feel about micro-P2....? :-) Effectively, it's an SD card built to a high performance for speed etc, but physically - it's an SD card. Yet it's what Panasonic seem to be betting the farm on for the future, likely to be increasingly used in their higher end equipment. When that happens, I wonder if the smaller form factor will become more accepted?

One advantage SD does have over CF is the facility of a write protect switch. There seems to be evidence that a number of cases of corruption of cards once they leave the camera are due to spurious writes etc by other equipment. (That's true for all types of card.) At least write protect protects against that.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
Luc what makes the Sony cards so durable is that you never touch the inner card. The same as with my setup above. Once Insert a card into the adapter it never comes out.
So splitting a card in 2 or any other damage to the card is impossible.

I'm not sure what you call amateur use but I get paid quite well when using these.

I can go along with your belief that that they wouldn't work for you. But my experience and the experience of many others suggest otherwise. But I also understand the need to cling to a belief for no apparent reason.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 03:59 AM   #10
Major Player

When the card never leaves the adapter, you have a point, Al. In all other cases I consider it too mechanically vulnerable to be reliable.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:32 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gardner View Post
Luc what makes the Sony cards so durable is that you never touch the inner card. The same as with my setup above. Once Insert a card into the adapter it never comes out.
So splitting a card in 2 or any other damage to the card is impossible.
Hi Al,
So are you able to use the MxR adaptor with the Sandisk SD card in the Sony reader, or are you using it with an express card slot? I am unable to read the MxR adaptor with Sandisk SD card combo with my reader so have to take the SD card out & insert it in my SD card reader.

Regards,
Bryce
Old June 2nd, 2013, 11:04 AM   #12
Trustee

Oops, sorry, duplicate post

Last edited by Bryce Comer; June 2nd, 2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
Bryce Comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 11:57 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I use the Efilms adapter. My cards are never removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Kensington adapter works with sandisk 128gB-adapter.jpg  
Old June 2nd, 2013, 08:13 PM   #14
Trustee

Ok, thanks for that, I hadn't seen that reader. So does this reader also work with the Sony SxS cards?
Thanks,
Bryce
Old June 2nd, 2013, 08:19 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Unfortunately it doesn't. My Asus laptop reads the Sony cards though.
Al Gardner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds