EX1R EVF potential burn-in? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 9th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #1
Inner Circle

EX1R EVF potential image retention?

So, I recorded over an entire 32GB card with the lens covered for reliability testing, but the EVF info was present during the entire 2 hours or more that I left the camera running. This causes extreme contrast between the EVF info and the black of the covered lens, so I get either image retention or burn-in.

I'm pointing my camera at analog static with no EVF info present to try to fix this. Anyone else notice image retention or burn in with their LCoS EX1R, 100, 150, 160 or 200 EVFs? (Heck, the NX5 may have the same EVF too)

Last edited by Jack Zhang; June 9th, 2013 at 03:27 PM.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: EX1R EVF potential burn-in?

I've never seen a burn-in problem on the LCD, but I question your method of testing the card for reliability. Simply recording a capped-lens, color bars, or anything with no action or motion does nothing to stress-test the card. You should aim the camera at a live TV sports broadcast and let the codec chew on that to see if the card can keep up with a lot of action -- preferably with S&Q 60 fps turned on.
Old June 9th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: EX1R EVF potential burn-in?

Ah, S&Q 60fps with analog static noise should work. And it's the EVF at the back, not the LCD. 60 at 24fps failed at 9 minutes with a card I was using, so that's no longer reliable.

Have left the static running for 8 hours on my EVF, the image retention is slowly going away. It is not burn in.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds