DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   external mic ex1r (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/517084-external-mic-ex1r.html)

Jim Stamos June 9th, 2013 07:22 PM

external mic ex1r

been loving my ex1r on every level.
I think the onboard mic is just ok. Id like to do a small shotgun mic in the holder to get better sound. any suggestions.
I have an AT897 I use for my boom work on short films, but thinks its alittle long for mounting. input welcome on a good sounding mic that will best the oncamera mic in the camera
thx

Gabor Heeres June 10th, 2013 04:18 AM

Re: external mic ex1r

My Rode NTG-2 is on my EX1R all the time. Perfect mic for this camcorder.

Les Wilson June 10th, 2013 06:43 AM

Size matters. Even using a right angle cable I found the NTG-2 too long and changed to an NTG-1. How far a mic sticks out in the back affects the rotating handle and the ease with which you can grab the top handle and go.

With a deadcat, even the shorter NTG-1 can make it in frame on the standard holder. Worse with the wide angle converter. I replaced the standard holder using a DM Accessory.

So there's a shorter Sony ECM-693 and Shure VP82 all about the same price but I know nothing of how good they are.

Dave Sperling June 10th, 2013 07:42 AM

I'f you're not using an on-camera light I'd recommend getting one of the hotshoe-mount-style shock mounts for the microphone (I use one made by Pearstone, which also has a thread to place it on the end of a boom pole.) It minimizes handling noise coming through the camera body, and also raises the mic enough that there are no 'dead cat whisker' issues at the top of frame. I have both the Rode NTG1 and NTG3. For most running around the NTG1 is fine (and definitely better than the camera mic), but if I need real reach I may use the NTG3, which is longer and heavier but really sounds wonderful.

Phil Murray June 10th, 2013 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jim,

I keep my Rode NTG-3 on the camera pretty much all the time unless I attached a wireless lav set. I use a shock mount (Rode SM5) that extends the mic far enough back and far enough out that it doesn't show up even when using a wide-angle lens. I wrap a couple of rubber bands around it to make it fit snugly inside the camera's mic mount. Just have to check the bands every so offten to make sure they're not about to break. (From looking at the picture, I think it's about time I checked again!)

I also have the NTG-2, but don't use it anymore because the sound is considerably better with the NTG-3. The NTG-2 is still a very, very good mic and much cheaper than the NTG-3. You would be happy with it.

If you decide to get an NTG-2, let me know. I've been thinking about selling mine for quite awhile now. :)

Phil

Phil Murray June 10th, 2013 07:01 PM

Just thought that with the SM5 shock mount, you would be able to use your AT897 just fine without a windscreen of any kind because it could be mounted back.

With the dead cat, my NTG-3 is at the limit and, since it's 1" shorter than the AT897, a windscreen would probably show up in your shots.

This setup also allows me to use the mic with a HDV-Z96 light mounted on the front shoe. The dead cat does block a little of the light in one corner no matter what I do -- probably not noticeable unless shooting a solid, continuous background -- but when shooting with the light, I'm likely indoors and the dead cat can come off allowing the mic to be mounted back so as not to be visible.

Jim Stamos June 11th, 2013 01:43 AM

Its important for me mainly for wedding receptions. with the loud music and all, I just need to make sure I get good audio
other jobs im usually using a wireless or boom mic

Les Wilson June 11th, 2013 11:09 AM

Without a deadcat, the NTG-1 is just fine on the stock EX1R mic holder. The NTG-2 is another 2" longer to hold the battery which you don't need on an EX1r.

Phil Murray June 11th, 2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Stamos (Post 1799618)
Its important for me mainly for wedding receptions. with the loud music and all, I just need to make sure I get good audio
other jobs im usually using a wireless or boom mic

Then it sounds like you'd be okay with your AT897. The Rode shock mount (SM5) I mentioned before will help a lot and will allow you to pull it back as far as necessary.

Since you're original question was about getting the best oncamera mic, though, I still think you're not going to beat the NTG-3 without paying a LOT more, but the NTG-2 isn't far behind for a lot less money.

Jim Stamos June 12th, 2013 01:06 AM

so its safe to say, the audio quality will be better with either the ntg2or the at897 over the oncamera mic

Les Wilson June 12th, 2013 10:23 AM

I can speak fort the NTG1, yes, you'll get less off axis sound.

Phil Murray June 12th, 2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Stamos (Post 1799812)
so its safe to say, the audio quality will be better with either the ntg2or the at897 over the oncamera mic

It'll be a BIG jump in quality.

Ken Estes June 12th, 2013 06:30 PM

I know it's a bump in price, but I'm very happy with the Sennheiser MKE600 which comes with a small coldshoe mount, but I've got it in a Pearstone coldshoe shockmount which I mildly adapted.

Ulf Marquardt June 14th, 2013 07:13 AM

I use an AT4029 with my EX1, and I am extremely happy with it in terms of the beautiful stereo sound. But on the other hand, I am extremely unhappy with it's sensibility to wind noise. Even the slighest summer breeze produces annoying noise. If I don't use a Rycote blimp (!!!), I can't use the sound.
What about your AT897, Jim?

Best
Ulf

Jim Stamos June 14th, 2013 01:32 PM

I love the at897, have only used it as a boom mic for a film but will be trying it on my ex1r at a dance performance.hopefully better than my camera mic