Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300 - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 11:23 PM   #166
Regular Crew

Re: Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300

Plus, I have written this bug report to their website, and after all of this lengthy description and suggestion, what comes out after I click submit button is a 404 error --- the web page doesn't exist. I tried multiple times and got the same results. I take it as that they are too hesitate to take any suggestions or accept any bug requests. The products are real, but the customer services looks like pure scum.
Meng Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 03:04 AM   #167
Inner Circle

Converters are basically a skin on top of the FFmpeg backend. FFmpeg can't handle professional codecs well, but there is a professional codec driven of FFmpeg called FFmbc.

https://code.google.com/p/ffmbc/

It actually is amazing what FFmpeg can do, but it can't do everything.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 04:26 AM   #168
Regular Crew

At least I can directly read those files in with that sometimes malfunctioning plugin now. Though I have not tried it yet, previously I used Sony Content Browser to convert one to mov and imported it in, it appears to have 8 audio tracks, all mono, with the 5th-8th silent. I currently saw no use of them, but they do exist. Maybe they are for some better cameras, I presume.
Old November 26th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #169
Equal Opportunity Offender

So ... is anyone with a PMW300 game to start answering our myriad of questions? Even just your thoughts on how this camera performs in real world usage will be of help.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #170
Regular Crew

sure make a list, Ill do the best I can to answer.
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #171

Thanks.

Firstly, when playing back a video clip that you have shot with the camera, does it output thorough the SDI connection? This doesn't happen on the EX3 which appears to only have a live SDI connection when it is in 'camera' mode.

Andrew
Old November 26th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #172
Inner Circle

That doesn't seem right. The EX3 should be able to do that with the i.link output off. Make sure your i.link output is off in order to use the SDI.

All cameras require the i.link output to be disabled to use HDMI or SDI.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #173

Could well be the case. Admittedly, it was a borrowed camera (the EX3 is not my usual cam) and it was an unexpected need at the time. Seemed weird that it would not output through the SDI.

Many thanks.

Andrew
Old December 4th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #174
Regular Crew

So, it looks like BH has someone who's collecting the serial numbers of PMW-300's they have sold out to customers to fulfill their *reseller's rebate* to prevent their potential loss. Anyone who has received it other than me?

Well I have to point out that the guy who's in charge of this has kind of a mechanical mind... He forwarded several of other users' emails to my email address trying to let me understand where the serial number is... Brent Kaplan is among them.

It appears that someone else also thinks that the rebate is for *himself*... and happily submitted the number with that consent. lol.
Old December 4th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #175
Regular Crew

yes I got that email and a phone messgae fromm a Isaac DAvis
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #176

So what happens if you choose not to supply them with the serial number?

Andrew
Old December 5th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #177
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
So what happens if you choose not to supply them with the serial number?

Andrew
Could be that they lose Sony's rebate, which could be around 5% or 10% of the price per item. That's why this guy is constantly bugging people with machines everyday. If he can't get enough response, he will be fired. That's the way New Yorkers do it.

What makes me a bit of passive to the response is that I also have asked something else. I have mentioned before that when I have received mine I have a small dust in the VF lens, which I want to contact them to seek easy ways to repair or exchange this part. So I talked to this guy by the way, but he did not respond it at all. He just let me contact their Customer Services. Well, You want something from me and you don't provide any courtesy to your customers? I should have jacked them with the serial number for the part, but I did not. I contacted Customer Services instead yesterday, but got no response so far.
Old December 19th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #178
Inner Circle

DSM U83 Works OK

I'm in the process of finishing off my review of the PMW-300 and I have tested my DSM U83 on it. I have no issues it appears to work correctly without the need for fly leads or anything else.
Old December 19th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #179

Looking forward to the review, Alister. I really got a lot out of your review of the PMW-200, even watching it a few times.

Are you able to check for IR bleed issues? (The sort of thing where black fabric looks warm/brownish because the infra-red isn't being filtered out properly.)

Thanks for all that you do.

Andrew
Old December 19th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #180
Regular Crew

Thats great about the DSM batteries but what about a battery with a DTAP that works.
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds