Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300 - Page 13 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PMW-300, PXW-X200, PXW-X180 (back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 19th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #181
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles,CA
Posts: 163
Re: Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300

Thats great about the DSM batteries but what about a battery with a DTAP that works.
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #182
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,963
Re: Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Kaplan View Post
Thats great about the DSM batteries but what about a battery with a DTAP that works.
ONLY one is the SWIT S-8U63. That's it.
__________________
I wait for the day cost-efficient global shutter 60fps capable CMOS sensors emerge for use on major manufacturers' cameras. (Sony, Canon, etc.) Rolling Shutters are a plague.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #183
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cambridge UK
Posts: 2,835
Re: Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300

I've been enjoying all the 4K discussions the last few days and weeks on DVinfo (AX100, GH4, Z100 etc….) but they have not changed my focus on what my immediate business needs are, and specifically those over the next 12-18-24 months for my main corporate clients. After that, who knows!

Anyway, after 5 and a half years of fantastic, rock solid performance with the lovely XDCAM workflow my much beloved EX3 is being retired (actually already sold). Today I ordered my PMW-300 :-)

It'll complement my Canon C100 well for my particular needs, just as the EX3 has.

My thanks to Alister Chapman and one or two others around the world for providing recent written and/or video reviews of the PMW-300 which helped me cement my decision, initially formulated back in June of 2013 immediately after the Sony press release on the PMW-300 (see my post #31 in this thread).

I get it on Tuesday - can't wait! I will be shooting my first commercial job with it starting next Friday (for a global medical name - on a film that will be used in Africa at the end of this month). I'm sure it'll be pretty familiar in menu and general operation/set-up - so no worries. No doubt I'll just need to rapidly re-learn some critical button positions!

Note to Chris and/or Mods: Now that the PMW-300 is shipping I guess discussions on it would be best incorporated into a 'Sony XDCAM or PMW' section - rather than in this 'News' section of the forum???
__________________
Andy K Wilkinson - http://www.shootingimage.co.uk
Cambridge (UK) Corporate Video Production

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; January 9th, 2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Adding Request for New PMW-300 Section
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #184
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,966
Re: Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
I've been enjoying all the 4K discussions the last few days and weeks on DVinfo (AX100, GH4, Z100 etc….) but they have not changed my focus on what my immediate business needs are, and specifically those over the next 12-18-24 months for my main corporate clients. After that, who knows!

Anyway, after 5 and a half years of fantastic, rock solid performance with the lovely XDCAM workflow my much beloved EX3 is being retired (actually already sold). Today I ordered my PMW-300 :-)

It'll complement my Canon C100 well for my particular needs, just as the EX3 has.

My thanks to Alister Chapman and one or two others around the world for providing recent written and/or video reviews of the PMW-300 which helped me cement my decision, initially formulated back in June of 2013 immediately after the Sony press release on the PMW-300 (see my post #31 in this thread).

I get it on Tuesday - can't wait! I will be shooting my first commercial job with it starting next Friday (for a global medical name - on a film that will be used in Africa at the end of this month). I'm sure it'll be pretty familiar in menu and general operation/set-up - so no worries. No doubt I'll just need to rapidly re-learn some critical button positions!

Note to Chris and/or Mods: Now that the PMW-300 is shipping I guess discussions on it would be best incorporated into a 'Sony XDCAM or PMW' section - rather than in this 'News' section of the forum???

Congrats on the new camera. I really like the specs. If I didn't need two, I would probably get one.
__________________
What happens if I push the 'Red' button?
Steven Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #185
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire, UK
Posts: 4,957
Re: Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300

I'm sure you'll like it Andy. If you liked the EX3 I think you'll really like the 300. It's much better put together and a great viewfinder.
__________________
Alister Chapman, Film-Maker/Stormchaser http://www.xdcam-user.com/alisters-blog/ My XDCAM site and blog. http://www.hurricane-rig.com
Alister Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 06:38 AM   #186
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 2,979
Re: Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300

and most awesome rotating grip from the EX1r.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #187
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Richmond, BC, Canada
Posts: 52
Re: Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300

Just got a Fujinon XS17x5.5BRM and attached it on my unit. It's totally different from the stock lens regarding the pic quality, a direct 1 level above. I am very happy with it and expect to take it somewhere soon to have some landscape tests, though it's been totally desolate in Vancouver with wind and rain nowadays.

I also have noticed that 4K talks on the forum and other places are significantly more than before recently. But I guess I won't have my next move until maybe PXW-Z700 comes out or maybe I can afford an F55 some day. Although there are also a lot of 4K monitors rolling out this year, which makes me a bit of thirsty to have some 4K shooting kits, but it seems not happening anytime soon. It's simple way too expensive... man.

That being said, still I want to ask, that does this HD lens support up to 4K resolution, or will there be there any specific 4K lenses coming out later? DSLR lenses can be a simpler option but may not permanently.
Meng Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #188
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 323
Re: Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300

Meng, what is the complete manufacturer part number for your Fujinon XS17x5.5BRM lens? I am confused by a variety of digits tacked onto the end of the part numbers. Thanks.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #189
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,963
Re: Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng Li View Post
I also have noticed that 4K talks on the forum and other places are significantly more than before recently. But I guess I won't have my next move until maybe PXW-Z700 comes out or maybe I can afford an F55 some day. Although there are also a lot of 4K monitors rolling out this year, which makes me a bit of thirsty to have some 4K shooting kits, but it seems not happening anytime soon. It's simple way too expensive... man.
I'm sure the AX100 will get a pro model. It happened with the HDR-HC1 and the HVR-A1U. Would make a good B-cam.
__________________
I wait for the day cost-efficient global shutter 60fps capable CMOS sensors emerge for use on major manufacturers' cameras. (Sony, Canon, etc.) Rolling Shutters are a plague.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 03:25 AM   #190
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Richmond, BC, Canada
Posts: 52
Re: Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rath View Post
Meng, what is the complete manufacturer part number for your Fujinon XS17x5.5BRM lens? I am confused by a variety of digits tacked onto the end of the part numbers. Thanks.
To check model numbers, there are 2 pics here telling everything:
B4 ENG Lens model# decoder charts! (Canon/Fujinon))
Meng Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 02:01 PM   #191
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 323
Re: Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300

Thanks, Meng.

I contacted Fujinon. They said the suffix digits are a manufacturing code that can change during production. I am just not accustomed to seeing a manufacturing code so prominently labeled on the lens.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #192
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cambridge UK
Posts: 2,835
Re: Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I'm sure you'll like it Andy. If you liked the EX3 I think you'll really like the 300. It's much better put together and a great viewfinder.
Spot on, as always Alister! Actually, you're slightly wrong, I love it!

Went to get it from H Preston in Malvern yesterday (who were a pleasure to deal with and who now have my treasured EX3 - in absolutely beautiful condition if anyone wants a second-hand one, BTW).

I have just set it up this morning - very easy and intuitive to set-up when you've used EX cams (shame about the rainy weather here though).

There are so many little (and some big) things that they have improved on and the sum total is a much bigger step up than I was expecting from just looking at specs on websites. One thing I did take note of though was the signal to noise quoted spec on the PMW-300 is now 60dB (was 54 on the EX3).

Build quality is really good (so good to have a metal body again, reminds me of the old trusty Sony PD150 I used a few years back).

The viewfinder is just blummin fantastic!!!

Not shot anything with it yet - but that will come soon enough.
__________________
Andy K Wilkinson - http://www.shootingimage.co.uk
Cambridge (UK) Corporate Video Production
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #193
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Richmond, BC, Canada
Posts: 52
Re: Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300

So Yesterday finally the sun came out in my area, I went to shoot something in the park using the machine and lens, edited it overnight, then posted it online. For the original clip it really works well, however here on Youtube I don't know how they compress it, the sea turns to be splotchy and also affected other objects like boulders and beach. Those scenes look terrible on Youtube only.


Everyone is welcomed to comment. Considering that this is a 1-day project, please don't be that skeptical, I guess this clip really does indicate some attributes of the lens and camera, like when it's shooting the sun, the shaft and flare of the lens certainly are not as good as those production cameras, but it may add some different flavor to it.

Another question I want to ask is regarding that splotches of waves of sea. It's really disturbing to see it on Youtube. I changed various ways to upload for multiple times, but none of them seem to give me better quality than that. Meanwhile it hurts my fragile heart by looking at promotion videos for consumer level 4K cameras (FDR-AX1) having better quality than mine. :\ Any ideas of that?
Meng Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 02:00 PM   #194
Trustee
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 1,562
Re: Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300

Try uploading to Vimeo (Vimeo Plus gets you 2 pass encoding) - I've noticed YouTube is particularly bad at complex motion. Don't get me wrong - Vimeo is not faultless, and IMHO I think it's using 601 encoding on 709 material which puts your picture slightly out of line. But I digress.

(FWIW -
, and
)
__________________
Director/Editor - MDMA Ltd: Write, Shoot, Edit, Publish - mattdavis.pro
EX1 x2, C100 --> FCPX & PPro6
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #195
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Richmond, BC, Canada
Posts: 52
Re: Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300

Looks like you are right, it does look much better on Vimeo.


Still, it's not perfect since there are 1-2 scenes still having those splotches, if looking in detail. But I guess that's just how it works.

Again, for those 4k videos, they have a much higher bit rate supported by those sites. Given the significant improvement of the quality, why can't they offer more bit rate for 1080P videos too? If the master file is played out on it lossless, it will be still much better than what's on Vimeo.
Meng Li is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:44 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network