Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 18th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Re: Sony unveils the EX3 successor: PMW-300

Thanks for the info Alister
Maurizio Panella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #62
Major Player

@Alister Chapman - Any hints or guesses as to how it compares to the XF300/305? I'd love a better low light capable camera that retains the same basic function as the XF.
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #63
Inner Circle

It will almost certainly be better than the XF305 in low light. Like the PMW-200 it has larger 1/2" sensors and size matters when it comes to true sensitivity and low light performance. I suspect it will be quite a bit better than most 1/3" camcorders in low light, but we will have to wait and see. I'll try to get a 305 for some side by side tests when I get the 300.
Old June 18th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Allister please more hi res pictures out of the box.

Thanks
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #65
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
It will almost certainly be better than the XF305 in low light. Like the PMW-200 it has larger 1/2" sensors and size matters when it comes to true sensitivity and low light performance. I suspect it will be quite a bit better than most 1/3" camcorders in low light, but we will have to wait and see. I'll try to get a 305 for some side by side tests when I get the 300.
If you could get any side by side tests that would be very appreciated. My dilemma is whether to get a C300 and keep my XF300, or to get a PMW-300 and trade in my XF300. The XF300 is almost the perfect camera for my uses but I'm just not that happy with it's low light performance on some projects I have done.
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #66
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Solaini View Post
If you could get any side by side tests that would be very appreciated.
The trouble is, do they say more about the cameras intrinsically, or just how they're lined up? It's also possible to set up a camera to look good superficially, on one particular example, but it may be very different given different material. That's why I take most straightforward camera comparisons posted on websites with a pinch of salt, unless they are done very scientifically.

I note Sony are now saying they are using "3D noise reduction" which I understand to mean comparing over a number of frames, and using software to look for differences and give a cleaner effect. It can make results look better - but it can bring problems as well as solve them. It's what caused the "noise ghosts" with Panasonics HPX371 - in the original form it was unable to completely distinguish between (unwanted) differences caused by noise and (wanted) differences caused by moving objects. The result was moving objects leaving behind "noisy trails". What will Sony's implementation be like? Good question.

One thing that can be said is that no form of electronic noise reduction can ever be truly equal to achieving a really less noisy image in the first place. In that respect, the 1/2" chips of the PMW300 can only be a huge advantage compared to the 1/3" chips of it's competitors. There really shouldn't be any doubt about that - it's what Alister means by "true sensitivity". Additionally, the larger chip size means better dof control, and less problems with diffraction limiting as you stop the iris down. In the case of all of these factors, the advantage should be just over one f stop.

This is also assuming that we're talking about a lens with the same f stop in each case. Low light ability is a function not just of camera sensitivity, but max lens aperture as well.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 09:12 PM   #67
Regular Crew

things i would like to see changed with pmw-300

1. front 1/4x20 thread mount instead of hot shoe
2. a d-tap in front
3. get rid of composite video and audio outs
4. a sdi record in
5. 1080p 240 high speed

Thanks
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 11:39 PM   #68
Inner Circle

It may be that the hot shoe can be removed and there might be a 1/4" thread underneath. The hotshoe plate fitted to the prototype looks like one of the removable ones, but I don't know for sure.

You do have firewire in for DV and HDV.
Old June 26th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #69
Trustee

Setiawan,

Thank you for your post!!!

Steve
Old July 7th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #70
Major Player

So the BBC claims, or at least JVC claims the BBC has purchased 500 GY-HM650U camcorders, probably because you can FTP video right from the camera.

How does that cam compare to the PMW-300?
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #71
Space Hipster

HM650 - 3x1/3" CMOS
PMW300 - 3x1/2" CMOS

HM650 - SDHC cards
PMW300 - SxS cards

HM650 - 35mbps, 4:2:0 codec
PMW300 - 50mbps, 4:2:2 codec

The PMW300 should also get a Wifi transmitter. It can also upgrade to XVAC codec.

The 300 is more of a shoulder mount camera design.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #72
Inner Circle

The BBC purchase of HM650's is not to replace existing XF-305's or EX1's. The HM-650's are replacing older Sony Z1's that are still in use by journalists.

The HM650 is a fine camcorder, but it's not as sensitive as an EX1/EX3 and relies heavily on noise reduction to get a clean image. The 650's wifi and 3G/4G capabilities are it's big selling point and for the BBC this brings the possibility of live streaming of breaking news stories with no extra equipment, all be it at sub broadcast quality. In addition the use of SD cards and a small codec means that it works well for fast turnaround news.

The PMW-300 is very different. Assuming the new noise reduction process results in an image similar to that from the PMW-200 (which uses the same sensors) but with a little less noise it should be a good performer in low light. For image quality the 300 will be better than the HM650, but using the add on streaming adapter will most likely be more complex than the built-in streaming from the HM650.
Old July 10th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #73
Salt Run Productions

The camera is strangely reminiscent of the ill fated and horribly expensive PMW TD-300 which was Sony's answer to stereographic 3D acquisition. I tested the camera and found the 2D and 3D imagery to be superb so I'm wondering if its the same chip array.
Old July 10th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #74
Inner Circle

Probably the same sensor chips (there the same ones as used in the EX1/EX3), but all new processing so if anything it might be better than the TD300.
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #75
Major Player

I'm amazed that anything other than press releases come out of Basingstoke having lived in Reading for a while(G). But honestly, owning both an xf305 and a C100 I can't see why I would be interested in this. (I bought the xf305 instead of an EX3 like 2 years ago). It seems like years late to the party. I've been shooting 50Mbps 4:2:2 Long GOP for over two years now with great results. My lower light shots with the xf305 have been pretty good. Having interchangeable lenses would be nice, but I already have that with the C100 and frankly, rarely take my 24-105 lens off it. I appreciate that if you have an EX3 that this is a replacement for that, but frankly, I'm not waiting on a replacement for the xf300. I've already got it in the C100, and the C300 if I want to break the bank and go to 4:2:2. But frankly I can mount a Atomos and still be less than the PMW-300. I have to tell you, I rarely shoot with the xf305 as the C100 is really a spectacular camera compared to a small sensor model. I didn't believe I could get as good a picture out of the 4:2:0 as the XF305 4:2:2 but I have to say it's damn close.

This isn't meant to be a slam of the PMW300, I'm sure that it will suit the folks doing broadcast just fine. Maybe it is really meant to compete against the Canon C300, since it's 4:2:2 but frankly, I like the layout of the C300 better, and I can use all my Canon glass that I have bought over the years for the 5D, C100 and on up.It just seems like this announcement is, "meh" meaning "really, you are getting worked up over this?" No harm meant, I love Sony too, she cares about professionals, but being independent she seems like a high maintenance date! Help me understand what I am missing. I frankly might have gotten more worked up over a real successor to the Panasonic AF100/100A. That was a great first effort a leader in the field and Panny just never really followed up on it. Finances likely. Or the Lumix division won out politically inside the company. I'm not really interested in going back to a DSLR now that there are real large format sensor options in a camcorder. This PMW300 doesn't seem like one.

Just sayin'.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds