Ex1 footage importing with 4 audio channels? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 28th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Ex1 footage importing with 4 audio channels?

I shot my footage with an EX1r and exported to MXF using the latest version of the EX Browser. When I bring the MXF files into a Premiere CS6 timeline it shows up with four audio channels but only two of them have audio. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks, Marc
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Ex1 footage importing with 4 audio channels?

That is something that Sony's media browser started doing. To stop it you will need to go back to v2.1 of clip browser.
Old June 28th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Use the "Media Browser" tab in Premiere instead of exporting to MXF. Premiere CS6 is able to work with native XDCAM files if you retain the BPAV folder structure. You will then get 2 channels instead of 4.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the replies. Marc
Old July 1st, 2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm editing in Premiere CS6 and when I right click on the clips in the media bin and choose modify audio I can set the audio to two channels. Solved my issue and I was able to change all of the clips at once.
Old July 1st, 2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Vortex Media

It's one of the best features of Premiere, and I really love being able to strip off all the audio channels of clips that don't need any audio at all.
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:16 PM   #7
Inner Circle

the Media Browser tab in Premiere takes only the two channels from the raw MP4 files. There is no need to convert to MXF, and it works with spanned files. It's hidden by default, so you have to bring it up:

Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Importing assets from tapeless formats
Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:04 AM   #8
Major Player

Jack, I did not realize the media browser will work with clips spanned over two cards and thought I needed the EX Browser for that. I just started using Premiere for the first time (since Premiere 6.5) so I'm still getting up to speed. I ended up switching over for this project because Vegas could not handle the 440+ MXF files of my project without constantly crashing. Premiere CS6 is handling things remarkably and the real time effects are great. I can't see becoming hostage to the cloud but CS6 should serve me well for the foreseeable future.

Thanks, Marc

P.S. Doug, thanks for getting me up to speed quickly on the EX1. Your DVDs are great.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 03:34 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Vegas can handle the native .MP4 files if you are on version 10 or higher. You only need to use MXF on spanned clips. If you want to avoid MXF alltogether, Premiere is a better option.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:13 AM   #10
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Salvatore View Post
P.S. Doug, thanks for getting me up to speed quickly on the EX1. Your DVDs are great.
Thank you, Marc. It's always great to get that feedback.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:20 AM   #11
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
the Media Browser tab in Premiere takes only the two channels from the raw MP4 files.
Obviously that is a true statement because the MP4 files only have 2 channels to start with. But if you begin shooting with one of the newer cameras, such as the PMW-200/160/100, F5, F55, and the PDW-F800/700 that all shoot 50Mbps XDCAM HD422 MXF files natively, then you'll unavoidably be importing four stereo pairs of audio into Premiere with each clip. In that case, the MODIFY > AUDIO CHANNELS function is a godsend to quickly strip off the channels you don't want, rearrange them into a different order, or do whatever you want.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds