DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   is Sony now charging for Content Browser? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/518194-sony-now-charging-content-browser.html)

Malcolm Hamilton August 8th, 2013 03:10 PM

is Sony now charging for Content Browser?

Hi there,
The Sony site says you have to pay $19.95 for the new Content Browser. I'll pay it—it's not as if they're asking for $199.95—but I'm still a bit surprised; I've never had to pay for their Content Browser (which used to be called XDCAM EX Clip Browser) before.
Just want to confirm with the experts on this forum before I proceed.
Thanks,
Malcolm

Andy Wilkinson August 8th, 2013 03:17 PM

Re: is Sony now charging for Content Browser?

I came across this recently when I went to install it on my new rMBP.

If you have a proof of ownership of a XDCAM product you should be able to get it free. If not (and in my case I could not find the "relevant code" for my 5 year old EX3, even though I file EVERYTHING!) then you can get one free licence... and then after that you have to pay for any other.

Like you infer, it's not a lot. We all like free but for a "professional tool" it's pretty cheap...

Malcolm Hamilton August 8th, 2013 04:10 PM

Thanks Andy. Like you, I file EVERYTHING (in theory, and I think in practise, but we'll see), so I should be good to go.
I'll try anyway.
Regards,
Malcolm

Malcolm Hamilton August 8th, 2013 04:17 PM

Well... it's asking me to register a serial number ("that came with the DC-ROM or camcorder") that is like XXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX.
I have a serial number for my PMW-200, but it doesn't have anything like this many digits (it's got six digits in all).
Is this Sony's way of making a person give up and pay the $20?

Malcolm Hamilton August 9th, 2013 07:17 AM

Was just told by the company I bought my PMW-200 from that I don't need version 2 on Content Browser (it's for F5 or F55 owners), so will stick with my (free) version 1.1
Regards,
Malcolm

Jack Zhang August 9th, 2013 12:42 PM

Personally, I still use (and only use) good old Clip Browser 2.6 for my EX1R. I get the acquisition tab that they took away in XDCAM Browser, and everything still works.

If you want to use UDF mode on a 200, that's a different story, but if you stick to FAT mode on a 200, Clip Browser 2.6 is pretty much all you need.

Shaun Roemich September 9th, 2013 05:52 PM

Content Browser is SUCH a superior tool, IMHO. Happily paid the $20 for it just for the tight integration with FCP7.

It DOES suck that one does not get a free seat when one buys a brand new Sony PMW200 though...

ADDENDUM: found the serial number for Content Browser in my PMW200 box on a non-descript piece of paper... my bad.