DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Monitor Choice for EX3 today (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/518601-monitor-choice-ex3-today.html)

James Dekle August 29th, 2013 01:24 PM

Monitor Choice for EX3 today

Would you get a monitor like the Marshall Electronics V-LCD70XP-3GSDI-SB 7" LCD Field Monitor used or would you buy a newer HDMI monitor like say the DataVideo HDMI montor and use a HD/SDI converter with it? This is a bit beyond my knowledge to make an informed choice but the use would be as a field monitor and with a jib.

Chris Clifton August 29th, 2013 01:30 PM

Re: Monitor Choice for EX3 today

It's hard to beat a Marshall with SDI, new or used, it's a great monitor. I just bought my first one this year after too many years of buying lesser-thans. Spend the money and don't mess with converters.

Alister Chapman August 29th, 2013 02:19 PM

What about something like the TVLogic 056W, 5.6" with HDMI and HDSDI.

I personally wouldn't get anything that needs an adapter just to make it useable when there are options that don't need an adapter. The adapter is another box to power, another thing to mount, another thing to go wrong.

Les Wilson August 30th, 2013 11:34 AM

I've had the Marshall monitor for 3 years using it with an EX1R. I would never buy a monitor that requires a converter and unless I had to, I would always choose SDI over HDMI simply for the professional BNC connector. The Marshall false colors is the best false color scale I've tried. It provides granularity in the range you need it most (skin tones) where others cover the range of under exposed to over exposed with the same color rendering them almost useless. I also like the accessory that gives you 1/4-20 mounts on all 4 sides. Makes it easy to move from tripod with Israeli arm to a lightstand. It's a quality piece of pro gear and if it matters to you, it's designed and made in the USA.

James Dekle August 31st, 2013 02:55 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Really appreciate the guidance. Marshall SDI it is.

Bo Skelmose August 31st, 2013 04:47 PM

I have a Small HD with an OLED 7,7" Screen - seems to be exactly the same screen as in the professionel Sony viewfinders. Convergent design seem to use the same display too, as the data is exactly the same as the Small HD monitor - Convergent designs new Odyseey 7 have a SSD recorder and HD-SDI for the same price as the Small HD 7,7" Oled HD monitor with HDMI. Do not spend money on anything else before you have seen one of these monitors. The Small HD is perfect and the one from Convergent design will have a lot more features.

Les Wilson August 31st, 2013 08:15 PM

I have the SmallHD 4" (collecting dust) and it's lousy false colors is one that I referred to. It uses Green over a very large range which makes it rather useless. So if you want the monitor for exposure assist, check it out first. This is the range for the model I bought. Look at it. 58-97% is all one color. Absurd.
http://www.smallhd.com/images/SmallH...-IRE-Scale.jpg

The Marshall on the other hand, changes to 3 colors in that range which makes dialing in exposure fast and consistent.

Garrett Low August 31st, 2013 11:21 PM

I've got the TVLogic VFM-056WP. It was an upgrade for me from a SmallHD. The TVLogic has great features and is powered by a variety of sources. I've got the Sony plate so I can use any L series battery.

The list of features is long and well thought out. My only two complaints, I wish that it had more than one programmable function button and in bright sunlight it can be a bit hard to see so you need a good sunshade. Other than that I have no complaints and stands up to any other monitor I've seen in the 5.6" size.

Leonard Levy September 2nd, 2013 01:10 AM

Ditto on TV Logic, one of the best purchases I've ever made.