DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   camera now sits straight... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/518684-camera-now-sits-straight.html)

Malcolm Hamilton September 3rd, 2013 08:55 AM

camera now sits straight...

3 Attachment(s)
Hi there,
Let me say, right off the bat, that it may be that only other camera owners with a touch of OCD (like me) will be interested in this. But I was always bothered when I'd put my EX1 (and now PMW-200) down on a table or floor, that is, a flat surface, and because I have a tripod-plate on the bottom of the camera, it wouldn't sit straight. It would tip over a bit to one side.
What I did was attach two transparent silicone (or rubber or whatever they are) 'feet' to the bottom of my PMW-200. You'll get a better idea with the three pics that I'll attempt to attach. In the photo of the bottom of the camera, I've circled (in white) the two feet that I've added. In the close-up of the main foot, you might be able to see that I took out one of the little bolts that was in the camera base and substituted a longer M3 (I think that's what it was) bolt that went through the little foot and then into the same bolt hole. (the other foot is just stuck on, at the back). The third photo shows my camera sitting on a table, nice and straight and stable.
As I say, I'm pretty sure most of you couldn't care less if your camera tips over a bit when you sit it down. This post is for any of you who might care.
Regards,
Malcolm

Warren Kawamoto September 3rd, 2013 10:01 AM

Re: camera now sits straight...

That's a great idea, because you could grab a shot simply by putting the camera on the ground with your alteration!

Kevin Spahr September 3rd, 2013 12:36 PM

Patent it and sell the idea to Sony - or sue them if they use it : )
But don't sue me, cause I'll be using it!
Thanks

Jack Zhang September 3rd, 2013 02:01 PM

I mostly get this when I have accessories on the camera. My general rule is to assemble on the tripod or on a soft surface so that when it rolls it doesn't hit anything hard.

Malcolm Hamilton September 3rd, 2013 02:23 PM

Warren and Kevin—thanks for your notes... the only thing I can say is that from Sony's perspective, they wouldn't know what size camera plate is going to be added, so they wouldn't know what size 'feet' to add.
With my plate (for my Sachtler DV-6SB) attached, I needed a foot at the bottom front of my PMW-200 that is approx. 15mm in height. To attach it, I replaced Sony's very short M3 bolt with a 20mm M3 that went through the foot and then into the same threaded hole, to the same depth as the original. If anyone else does this, please make sure not to screw in a bolt that's too long. The only thing I can tell you for sure is that the bolt diameter is a standard M3.
My other foot is stuck on (no bolt) at the back of the camera, and is approx. 10mm in height.
Of course if I ever take my camera plate off, my camera won't sit straight. But I always leave my camera plate on.
Jack—before adding these feet I'd always be careful putting my camera down, knowing it would tip a bit. I'm still careful putting it down, but I'm no longer bothered by it looking askew—now it sits perfectly plumb.
Again, I know this is a small thing. The important thing about a camera is what you do with it when it's on your shoulder or tripod and in action.
Regards,
Malcolm

Bob Jackson September 4th, 2013 12:29 AM

Ever tried a cine saddle?

they work great.