Hows the auto focus on the PMW200? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 15th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Hows the auto focus on the PMW200?

As mentioned in a previous post, I am thinking about purchasing the Sony pmw200. I think I now have enough info to make a decision on the purchase. I keep reading mixed reviews on the auto focus and wanted to get input from those that have worked with the camera. I was going to rent one, but I would much rather put the rental cost toward the purchase of the camera. Please let me know what your thoughts are regarding the autofocus. Thanks.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Hows the auto focus on the PMW200?

It's typical Sony auto focus. Pretty good.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Hows the auto focus on the PMW200?

I agree with Jerry Porter. Overall, the PMW-200 is pretty good for what it is.

In full 'Autofocus Mode', the camera can be fooled into focusing on the wrong subject. With moving subjects, the 'focus' can drift in and out. You can assist the 'autofocus' by turning the 'Focus Ring', but the camera may override your decision.

There's also a 'Focus Assist' feature where you can temporarily activate 'Autofocus' when you press the 'Push AF' button.

Bottom-line, preferred technique is full 'Manual Focus', but in general the 'Autofocus' feature is as good, if not better than most.

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds