DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   PMW-400 UDF-format SxS issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/519570-pmw-400-udf-format-sxs-issue.html)

Gabor Heeres October 19th, 2013 05:14 PM

PMW-400 UDF-format SxS issue

Hi All,

This week we have received our brandnew PMW-400. A great piece of a camera. Though it's giving us a hardtime reading a pre-used original 32 GB SxS card. I have earlier used this card in EX-cameras at 35 Mbps mode only. (EX1, PMW-350 and EX-1R). It's one of these (example):

Sony 32GB SxS Memory Card PRO SBP32 B&H Photo Video

With the PMW-400 we use this 32 GB and another original 16 GB SxS card in UDF format at 422 cs 50 Mbps. The 16 GB card reads fine in both slots and the 32 GB card works fine in slot B. Though when inserted in slot A it mostly doesn't work. it gives a UDF format error. Than I'm unable to format the card as well. Though, when remaining the power on, swapping the two cards between both slots, succesfully using the 32 GB card in slot B and than swapping to slot A again it does work. Untill you power off the PMW-400, than the whole issue starts again.....

It seems a very weird problem, which I can't explain or resolve. Is this an early problem with the PMW-400 firmware Sony should be informed about? Sure, for now it helps to just leave the 16 GB card in slot A and the 32 GB in slot B but in my opinion it should work all ways around. Anyone else out there with this PMW-400/32 GB SxS Combo experiencing the same issue? Or am I just missing something?

Thanks.

Gabor

Bo Skelmose October 20th, 2013 02:26 AM

Re: PMW-400 UDF-format SxS issue

Hi
I have no problems with my 32gB SXS-1 or Pro model (Orange and blue). The adapter with SDXC card cannot be formatted in UDF - I have orderd a XQD card and adapter to test.

Jack Zhang October 20th, 2013 05:41 PM

I think it's the age of the 16GB card. Not in the sense of wear and tear, but in terms of hardware and firmware.

It could be just possible there are compatibility issues with older SxS Cards. Hot swap may simply not work with older cards. It is simply a firmware issue in the camera and most of the time, more focus will be put on newer hardware rather than older hardware.

David Heath October 20th, 2013 05:55 PM

There are different types of format for cards, some act deeper than others. I can only suggest that maybe the camera is doing a simpler type of format - maybe try doing a full format of the card via a computer and see if that makes a difference?

Simon Denny October 21st, 2013 02:26 AM

Lately I have been experiencing the same thing with the orange 32G cards when I shoot interlaced on my Sony PMW500. It's odd as this only happens in interlaced and not progressive.

Gabor Heeres October 21st, 2013 09:03 AM

Thanks all for the replies.

@ Simon Yes, i do shoot only interlaced as well as we use the camera for ENG work. But no solution found?

@ David I have tried formatting it in a computer in extensive mode, than formatting in the camera again to achieve the right file system. It doesn't make any difference.

@Jack Your help is welcome, though that doesn't sound logical to me. I mean, in the other slots in all cameras this card works perfect, just not in slot A of the PMW-400. Or do things even here turn out not to be what it looks like?

I think I'll send Sony a call as both products are original Sony Pro stuff and are meant to cooperate with eachother. Not sure it will solve this small issue but at least it's good to inform them.

Alister Chapman October 23rd, 2013 04:00 PM

That behaviour is not right. The card should work in either slot. It may be some wierd firmware/software bug or it could be a less than perfect connection between the card and camera in slot 1. Check for dirt dust inside the slot at the end of the SxS card and maybe try cleanung the connections using a piece of card soaked in alcohol that is cut so it slides into the slot.

Bo Skelmose October 28th, 2013 05:55 PM

Have something like it.
My 32 gB SXS card works fine. The XQD sxs adapter with a XQD card come with a format error when the camera has been turned off and on again. Eject/reinsert the XQD adapter will make everything OK again...

Gabor Heeres October 28th, 2013 06:57 PM

Bo, Also when running in interlaced mode?

Bo Skelmose October 29th, 2013 03:25 AM

Yes - in interlaced mode..

Eric Deyerler November 14th, 2013 06:48 AM

the older cards needs an firmware-update