DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony Content Browser and Mac OS Mavericks? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/519788-sony-content-browser-mac-os-mavericks.html)

Malcolm Hamilton November 4th, 2013 07:45 PM

Sony Content Browser and Mac OS Mavericks?

Hi there,
Anyone know if the Sony Content Browser (either 1.1 or 2.1) works with the new Mac OS (Mavericks)... and if not, when it might be updated to work with Mavericks? (i.e., is Sony usually pretty speedy with this sort of update?).
thanks,
Malcolm

Bob Jackson November 4th, 2013 08:39 PM

Re: Sony Content Browser and Mac OS Mavericks?

Or does the express card slot work with "Mavericks"?
Seems to always take time to get new firmware to upgrade the system.

Malcolm Hamilton November 5th, 2013 12:15 PM

Good point, Bob. I depend on my (now old, but still trusty) MacBook Pro, with its ExpressCard slot to copy footage from SxS cards to hard drive. I can't afford to upgrade to Mavericks until I know that both Content Browser AND the ExpressCard slot work with Mavericks.
Any early-adopters out there trying this out?
Malcolm

Martin Phillips November 5th, 2013 12:39 PM

Just done a clean Mavericks install today on the MacBook Pro. Content Browser works fine, but the SxS driver for the expresscard slot does not. Apparently an update from Sony will be forthcoming at some stage soon. For now, I have cloned and archived my Mavericks install and put my Mountain Lion clone back on until this is fixed. Hope this helps!

Bob Jackson November 5th, 2013 02:51 PM

thanks
Seems like Sony always takes a month or more to come up with new SxS express card drivers for any new MAc OS.
I'll wait until everything works which may be awhile.

Malcolm Hamilton November 5th, 2013 02:59 PM

Yes, thank you Martin for the update. Good that you had your Mountain Lion clone to fall back on...
Malcolm

Shaun Roemich November 5th, 2013 04:37 PM

Brand new MacBook Pro 13" Retina running Mavericks with Sony PMW200 hooked up via USB with Content Browser 2.1 seems to work fine so far with 50mbps & 35mbps media on SxS cards.

Internal SDXC slot seems to work fine with 35mbps media on SDHC cards.

Malcolm Hamilton November 6th, 2013 03:48 PM

Shaun, are you tempted to get a Sony SxS card reader to carry on out-of-office shoots, or are you fine with connecting your camera to your MacBook Pro?
(just curious because within the year I might have to replace my MBP—a 2008 model that has the ExpressCard slot—so I'm wondering what my best option will be for downloading cards... I just use SxS)
Regards,
Malcolm

Shaun Roemich November 6th, 2013 05:27 PM

I've never been a big fan of tethering cameras for media ingest - part of that goes back to the days of Tape Head Hours and Operation Hours lowering the value of a (tape-based) camera but part of it is that I PERSONALLY like to keep media management and acquisition separate and now that I have switched to 50mbps exclusively, just buying a bunch of SDHC cards and dealing with media later isn't feasible any more.

Robin Probyn November 6th, 2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton (Post 1819596)
Shaun, are you tempted to get a Sony SxS card reader to carry on out-of-office shoots, or are you fine with connecting your camera to your MacBook Pro?
(just curious because within the year I might have to replace my MBP—a 2008 model that has the ExpressCard slot—so I'm wondering what my best option will be for downloading cards... I just use SxS)
Regards,
Malcolm

Malcolm

I would highly recommend the USB3 reader.. BUS powered unlike the previous model.. and a must have for 50 Mbps footage.. you also avoid the driver/OS update issue.. reads just as HDD would.. (still need the UDF driver of course.. but only one driver to worry about..).. small,light weight,one cable.. out to a TB HDD is pretty quick.. I also had the express card mac.. but the USB2 out was very slow..as a lot of HDD phased out FW port.. and now mac doesn't have FW either..
USB3 reader - mac-TB/USB3 HDD.. best way to go at the moment I believe..