DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   HDSDI Cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/519793-hdsdi-cable.html)

Jim Stamos November 4th, 2013 11:02 PM

HDSDI Cable

am shooting a wedding in a few weeks with my ex1r and need to get HDSDI cable to run from my camera to an HDVT in a different area of the church for the overflow to watch on.
How far can I safely go and quality is still good? and can you get the cable hdsdi for the camera and hdmi on the other end for the tv since it wont have hdsdi

any brand in particular and a good reputable place to buy it?
thx

Warren Kawamoto November 4th, 2013 11:36 PM

Re: HDSDI Cable

If you're monitoring just to show what the camera sees to overflow guests, using hdsdi is overkill, in my opinion. Most likely, their hdtv won't have hdsdi in. To convert to hdmi, you'd have to spend several hundred dollars for a hdsdi-hdmi converter. I think your best bet would be video out from the "d" connector and extend via bnc cable to the monitor.

Bo Skelmose November 5th, 2013 03:06 AM

Hi
You can go 100m with a cable like Canare L-4CFB and you need a converter from HD-SDI to HDMI.
With sound you can use a BlackMagic Battery Converter SDI to HDMI (300 dollar)
Without sound in the HDMI - a cheaper EverFocus EHA-CRX HD-SDI Repeater and HDMI Converter (160 dollar)

James Kuhn November 5th, 2013 02:24 PM

Jim Stamos...I don't have an EX1R, so I'm not sure, but does it accept a BNC cable? If, it does have a 'SDI Out Port' I'd use it to feed a remote monitor. BNC, 75-Ohm cable and connectors are made for 'field use' and are more robust. I was always told, HDMI is "Living Room Technology" and really not appropriate for field use.

I hope this helps,

J.

Jack Zhang November 5th, 2013 04:19 PM

How far is the overflow TV? If it's some distance away (over 25m) HD-SDI with a converter on the other end is the way to go.

If it's only 10m away, a long HDMI cable (preferably a high quality one) would work with the EX1R outputting HDMI. There isn't much effort required in that case.

You can try the Atmos one or the Blackmagic one. Those are good brands.

Sander Vreuls November 5th, 2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 1819369)
To convert to hdmi, you'd have to spend several hundred dollars for a hdsdi-hdmi converter.

There are now converters for ~30-50$ to go from HD-SDI to HDMI and they work like a charm.. Including embedded audio..

There is no need for a Blackmagic converter or any other brand for such applications..

Jim Stamos November 6th, 2013 12:32 AM

fortunately I don't need audio its being piped through speakers outside to the courtyard where the tv will be, I would guess that the distance will be about 225ft give or take a few

Jack Zhang November 6th, 2013 05:56 AM

Then yes, you will have to go HD-SDI. The longest HDMI cables I've seen only go 100ft.

Monoprice has a converter for under $100. Might be good if you need it immediately, since I have no clue where to look up the $50 ones and how long the shipping on those would take.

John Peterson November 25th, 2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sander Vreuls (Post 1819468)
There are now converters for ~30-50$ to go from HD-SDI to HDMI and they work like a charm.. Including embedded audio..

There is no need for a Blackmagic converter or any other brand for such applications..

Correct. I use this one:

I bought it on eBay for under $50

John

Anthony Lelli September 24th, 2014 11:40 PM

me too. I also use a (computer) network cable (300m) RG58 - couldn't find theRG59 that long- with BNC connectors and then a $30 ebay SDI-hdmi box powered by a 5V stick used to charge a phone (also on ebay $7 or so). It works